Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Angry Pulling my pedal cluster? PITA! I'm stuck

OK I downloaded the tech article on bronz bushings in the pedal cluster. Of course I forgot to take it with me to my parts car. I am planning on pulling my parts car pedal cluster & rebuilding it with the bronz bushings. My problem is how in the h#** do you get the nut off inside. The on that sits right below the front of the brak pedal. No socket will fit on it because of the brake pedal. I also can't get a wrench on it cause of the angle(just wants to strip). Couldn't get my vise grips in there either(not enough room). Please give me some wisdom. Is it sawzall time?
Old 12-26-2002, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Hmmm. I don't remember having an awful time with this one. I might have needed to push the brake pedal out of the way, but if I did that I'm sure I just pushed it in the direction it goes when you apply the brakes. With the master cylinder loose or out of the way, you get more room to do that without a lot of effort.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-26-2002, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
how about an offset boxend wrench?
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 12-26-2002, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Oh, you might also have more luck with a 1/4" drive socket. Those tend to have thinner walls, thinner extensions, and smaller ratchets, all of which let you get into harder to reach areas.

Can you get a socket with (say) a 6" long extension onto the fastener?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-26-2002, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I've tried moving the brake lever. It is still just in the way. I tried getting a box end wrench on there too. It is to fat to get in there. Unless there is a way to move the brake lever laterally I don't see a way to get the sucker off. I'm just gonna cut the piecer I think. There is some rust on the pan anyway so I'm not really gonna ruin anything worthwhile. Won't be getting to it today however. Maybe tommorow I can get to messing with it again. I did spend a good 45minutes screwing with it last time. Maybe it was one of those nothing is going to work for me days. Of course the other parts I got that day came off no problem. Oh well I'll try again tommorow. I will be taking my sawzall just in case though. Where is the access to the clutch cable where it meets the pedal. I couldn't see it while I was in there. Is the a access panel I missed?
Old 12-26-2002, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
If I remember correctly I think I know your problem. The bolts you are trying to remove are welded to the cluster piece and you have to remove the nuts that hold the master cylinder on from outside/under the car. Then I think there is a 10mm bolt that is going into the floor pan from the inside. Nope, no better access to the clutch cable its the little hole where the peddle cluster meets the center tunnel, disconnect the cable from the trans first.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think Chris got it right, there are two nuts that you have to loosen at the m/c and there are two nuts from inside the car. It helps to disconnect the throttle cable and clutch cables first and unbolt the acc pedal before trying to remove the cluster. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
John is right, JRust. Disconnect the clutch and accel. cables at the front of the center tunnel. They are real awkward to get at, I've pulled the driver seat out to give me more room to work. Once the cables are disconnected, the pedals will move around pretty easy. Are you using a deep socket and extention? Also spray them down with plenty of Liquid Wrench or... You should have plenty of room to get a deep socket on the two nuts that hold the cluster to the floor off.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 12-26-2002, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ok so if I can get the clutch cable & accelerator cable off. Will it make the assembly loose. Is it just the springs that hold the pedals in place. If I can slide the brake pedal laterally I know it will come off no problem. I have taken the master cylinder loose. The rod is out on the inside so that isn't binding up any. Just the movement pushing on the pedal is not making any more space for the socke. I tried extensions, The small sockets with thinner walls. None of those would fit. I am going to make an attempt again tommorow. I'll let you guys know if I wwas able to do it without cutting anything. Thanks for all the advice-Jamie
Old 12-26-2002, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: