Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Baby in 914??

Just a few quick Q's??

We will be having our 1st baby in May of next year (2003). I should have my 914 done by then and am curious if anyone has driven with a baby in a car seat, in a 914? OR Sould I not bring my baby in a 914 for safety reasons?

I would like to make some 914 events in this coming year and don't think I should leave the new family behind

Is 2 adults and a baby even doable??

Cheers

914-6 in the Werks
Old 12-27-2002, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think thats such a good idea. I can't imagine Mom being happy, even if you got an approved baby seat in the middle of the seats - facing backwards!

Buying or renting a truck to tow the 914, or caravaning in 2 vehicles would seem to be the best way to go.

Getting Mom her own 914 would be the optimal solution IMHO!
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 12-27-2002, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would not recommend it. We have a 9 month old who I would love to drive to events, or even go for a nice mt. drive with. But, when you just put a baby seat in the car, you can see that there is no room for two more adults.

I am fortunate that my father in law has a very nice 944S2, with a back seat, for the fun mt. drives to go to breakfast.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Puny Bird

I don't think that it's a great idea two have two adults and a baby (and seat) in a teen, even if you add an extra set of belts. Pick up a baby seat, those things are huge.

In Ontario, Canada, it's no problem for one adult and a baby, as the car is a two seater and it has no air bag. I've thought about adding extra seat belts, so that I can take my two kids (when they both out of baby seats) in the car, but I will find out if it's legal first.

What ever you decide you should go to your local police station, and ask them to look at your car/car seats etc. and they can tell you if it's legal or not. You may need an appointment and sometime's the police (here) run baby seat clinics.

This is the safety of your child, so take care and do it right. Good luck with your new baby. Mark
Old 12-27-2002, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I agree with you guys.. The jumper seat is not a good place for a baby seat. Is the passanger seat a safe location? I guess the baby and I could go for a short ride around town.

There at least 2 events I would like to attend next year, Hershey and Ohio rally. The East Coast ramble may be a option depending on it's location.

Thanks for the input guys May is going to be a fun month

Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 12-27-2002, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Here's what you have to look forward to.... mine loves to go to shows. I would NOT go long trips with a newborn and 2 adults.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A year after my son was born, my wife went back to work (so she could pay for daycare??? -- really to keep her mind from turning to mush). We had two cars and two jobs: a Subaru RX (her) and a 914 (me). Since I teach, I got to pick my son up after school. He rode in a car seat on the passenger side. He loved it, since it was the ony car with a side low enough to see out of. He also liked having the top off and windows down, but he tended to toss things out of the car at speed to see how quick daddy could turn around....

Two adults and a kid in a car seat? No way... even if the adults are small!
Old 12-27-2002, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Seriously. I would put a baby seat in the passenger side...say a prayer like every father would...and go. But then again I take a rather agressive appraoch to life. The wife...tell her she gets the day off! Pack a stroller and get the kid interested in cars as early as possible.

I spent most of my car traveling life as a kid sprawled out under the rear windshield of a delta 88 Olds...Seat belts are great insurance policies. You only miss them when you are caught not wearing them...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 12-27-2002, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

In the state of WA, it's illegal (or so my wife says) to have a baby in the front seat...child seat or no. Gotta be in the back seat.

Whut, no back seat? Sell your car and get one. This is your gubbmint speaking, you idiot, we know what's best for you.

We also have Patty Murrary for a US senator. Her latest tales
of Osama and his crew building roads, schools, and day care centers touched the hearts of millions....not to mention that the good ole USofA wasn't doing any of this stuff. There's some sortta' trend here.....can't quite put my finger on it.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Baby's? No Problem... Mine love it, the three year old yells as we drive, "Go Faster Daddy, Faster..."

Child seat fits perfectly. Never had a problem. I am more scared of my wife driving with them in the ford.

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 12-27-2002, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Baby's? No Problem... Mine love it, the three year old yells as we drive, "Go Faster Daddy, Faster..."
Ah, more children experiencing the good things in life...
Old 12-27-2002, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats, Kerry!
Old 12-27-2002, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Hey Rockaria

Did you steal my kids? Oh, I guess not, mine are right here! I have a 3 1/2 year old girl and a 1 1/2 old boy. Elizabeth says the exact same thing when she rides in our teen, Faster daddy, faster.

J P, here it is legal to have a baby in the front, only if there is no back seat and if you can turn off (or no) air bag.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Henry; 12-27-2002 at 03:34 PM..
Old 12-27-2002, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Haven't had to put the child seat in yet, but will when necessary. But there is not enough room to do 2 other people too.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 080602-x.jpg (46.0 KB, 299 views)
Old 12-27-2002, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
You might want to check VA laws. In alot of states, its illegal to have passengers of any size unless there is a seat belt for every passenger on board. If thats the case in VA, it would pretty much rule out Mom and baby at the samer time. Most states get very picky when it comes to children & child saftey seats too. And since 914's aren't old enough NOT to have belts most states, I believe require their use. Just some thoughts.

I also think kids are way over-rated. But thats probably for another thread... Where is W.C. Fields when you need him.!
(just kidding, mine is grown and gone so I earned the right to kid about kids)
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
My kids are bigger now. (two boys) I used to sneak them and the two nieghbor kids in the teener. We used to go to the beach while my wife was slaving away at work. We crossed the belts. Everyone was belted together. Kinda dumb when I think back on it. The worse part of the deal was I had my shoulder fixed and my right arm in a sling. I was pushing the clutch and my oldest boy was shifting. I think he was 10 at the time. I'm not sure I would do it again but I couldn't resist. We had a great time that summer....(sigh)
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

kids in a 914

kids also make great cup holders, provided the cups have non-spill sippy tops! My six year old said he loves being the Porsche but could see only the tops of trees, so I got him a big pillow so he could see over the dash.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Porsche Crest kids in a 914

As a Police officer for 22 years, it would be my recommendation to forget putting any small kids in a 914, regardless of wether or not they are in a Child Safety Seat. A good rule of thumb is if they are too small to fit properly into the passenger seat (without booster seats or CCS's), using available restraint devices, then they are too small. Also, 914's are pretty low to the ground and lightweight. I do not want to think about what a side impact would do to the car and the people inside. Because you are taking the time to ask, I can see that even though you would like to participatie in Porsche events as a family, you are concerned about their safety first. Even though the 914's with the center cushion/jump seat may accommodate a small person. I think that getting a CSS (Child Safety Seat) properly anchored in either the passengers side seat or the center would be a nightmare. I just wouldn't risk it. I am sure that many of our friends on this site can attest to how well the 914 holds up in any accident. I like the idea of towing your 914 if you have another vehicle available to do so. Or better yet, Its a good excuse to buy a 911 or 924 for your wife to follow you to the events in.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Here's me and my son Hunter in the car before I took it apart!

Old 12-28-2002, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hi Karl,
Hunter looks just like my Ben, most of the pictures we get of Ben have his mouth open too. I like your other ride too, what kind of Boxter is that i nthe back?
Old 12-30-2002, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: