Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

change door handle

can you take the lock out of old door handle and put in new one thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes. You can also rekey the existing tumbler to match all the others on the car (other door, trunk, frunk, and glovebox) if you would like. I did this a couple of months ago (well, I didn't mess with the frunk or glovebox). Once you get the door panel off it's not too hard to get the door handle off and disassessmble it. Just be careful when you pull the tumbler out of the door handle assembly or you may lose those little spring-loaded wafers inside the tumbler. 914Rubber also sells a "kit" that is helpful for refurbishing the inner seals and pieces of the door handle.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
We have Technical Articles on the subject:

Porsche 914 Outer Door Handle Replacement | (1969-1976) | Pelican Parts DIY Maitenance Article

There is a link in there to another article about re-keying the door locks, as well.

If your old handle is broken, but the key still works, it is trivial to put the lock cylinder from the old handle into the replacement handle. Just put the appropriate key in each lock to keep the wafers and springs from flying out.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
As said ... YES .
I used the tech article here on Pelican (Thanks), with new handles, wafer kit to re-key and it was a fairly simple job....
2 points don't overt tighten the handle hardware and get some new door panel clips, as that needs to come off to do the job.

I had never re-keyed anything and now all my locks us ONE key . great fun, rewarding weekend job

Enjoy Life ... Eat out more often !
Old 07-23-2016, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: