Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Stay away from my Member

Thumbs up Woohoo, finally got a -real- test drive

OK, some of you may recall the rear wheel bearing issues I was having. (Went thru 3 of them - maybe more, I forget - in an extremely short period).

Turns out that the culprit was actually the hub. Early 911 hub was machined down about 3mm years ago for some kind of larger brake setup, maybe a Vellios kit (?) for Carrera or 930 brakes in the back of an early 911 or 5-lugged teener. Anyways, the guys at the shop pulled this hub off the shelf and put it on my car. Unless you held it up next to an unmodified early 911 or 914-6 hub, or measured it, you'd never really know it was weird.

We did also find out that the FAG bearings are slightly larger (.08mm) than the SKF's so they fit tighter; also, they're made in Germany vs. Spain or France if that matters to anybody.

Sooo, I now have a good hub, good FAG bearings, and all the other good bits on the car. (Whole suspension and braking system was replaced/rebuilt, new wheels & tires, plus a few other misc. things).

It rocks! I went for a long, fast drive up Mulholland, down Encinal Cyn to PCH, then back up Latigo Cyn to Kanan and back to Mulholland. Whew, it was tiring. The car is extremely balanced and stable now. I was doing 100+ in a few spots and it was very comfortable. Nice turn-in.

The coolest part is that on Mulholland up past the Rock Store, I came up behind a Boxster S moving at a good clip. This is an extremely twisty section. The dude let me pass at the top of the hill...
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 12-27-2002, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Nice.. went for a drive a while back and i was realy shocked when my dad was doing 90 + and accelerating in my car! I thought that since it was down 20+ hp from stock that it couldnt do Anything.. btw, does BMW 320i calipers really help that much? I have a possibility of buying, rebuilding, and machining a fiew sets.. would anyone be interested in buying a set for like $150 ready to bolt in? . just throwing the idea out.. Good luck on your teener
Old 12-27-2002, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

WAY TO GO CHRIS! Sounds like you had fun.

I took mine out tonight after contortioning myself so I could put in the new HTS. I wasn't so lucky. My problem is still there. Kinda stutters around 3500. Has power but stutters. I'm gonna change the fuel filter in the morning before I go to JP's. I've already changed the TPS and put in a Pertronics. Hope the filter does it.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-27-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
campbellcj, Thanks for the vision. My mind was racing as I was reading your post. I kept thinking of the scene in "No Mans Land" When D.B. Sweeney was thrashing Charlie Sheen's Porsche! Do it again for us guys in the rust belt. But watch out for CHP's. I'm going to pop the movie in now.... I need a fix!
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: