Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

wire bail for pushrod tubes

I'm changing the pushrod tube seals with the engine in the car. I can't get a very good look at things with the heat exchangers in the way.

How can I be sure I've gotten the tube retaining bail in the right place as I put the rocker arms back on? Does anyone have a photo of this that I might be able to see and "feel" it back together?

Thanks!

--Case...
Old 12-29-2002, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Two critical things to the positioning of the pushrod tube retaining wire:

1, the "upper" parts go into the notches on the bottom side of the rocker stands.

2, the parts that poke into the pushrod tubes should rest on the shoulders of the tube, and not actually poke down into the tube itself.

If you ever see pushrods with wear near one end--or even a notch most of the way around that end!!--you'll know that someone forgot about that second point above.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-29-2002, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I seldom use them...I use sealant on my tubes and they never budge.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 12-29-2002, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

So there you go, put sealant on them AND the wires and worry not. BTW, Jake, which sealant? Last I knew, or at least understood, you were advocating teflon at the head and Permatex at the case, which is how I did it.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, fellas. This morning I found the photo I was looking for. It's in both the Clymer and Drake manuals. Dave's point #2 was right on target for me. I've only done one cylinder to this point and I need to make it right before moving on. I think I had the wire going down the throat of the tube.

There's no doubt that I needed the new seals. It was obvious that oil was leaking from there and the old outer seals were so hard that they crumbled when I tried to remove them from the tube. They were also somewhat flattened in cross section; not an 'O' ring but more like a 'D' ring.

If it leaks when I put it back together I'll use some sealant.

Now if I can just find an easy way to get the valve cover wire back on.....

Here's the pic just for posterity:

Thanks again!
--Case...

Last edited by VARam1500; 12-30-2002 at 05:26 AM..
Old 12-30-2002, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I also found it pictured pretty well in the valve clearance adjustment article .
Old 12-30-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Been doing it with teflon liquid at both ends lately, been working well.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 12-30-2002, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The valve cover wire just slips into the holes in the head. It won't go in place over the cover, but you can just hook it up as it hangs. The wire is asymmetric, so look at the other side to figure out which way the bends go. If you get it wrong, it's a lot tougher to take off the next time. (Ask me how I know... )

When the wire is in place, you slide it up over the valve cover to keep the cover in its place.

--DD

Old 12-31-2002, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Dave--
I don't know if this was the best thing to do or not, but it helped me get the bail back over the cover. Because the scrape-path of the wire was a little rusty where the finish was chipped off from prior removals, this rust makes it a lot tougher to work the wire back on. I used a Dremel and lightly ground off the rust and polished the path that the wire drags up the cover with a wire wheel. Now it's really smooth. A little line of white grease on that polished part helped cut down on the friction and the bail goes on with about half as much work. Can you see anything wrong with doing this?

All this would be so easy if the heat exchangers wern't in the way! For me, taking them off would be a nightmare, though, as the bolts are way rusted.

Oh, btw, I got the tube retainer to the right place. I just let the bends stay in the neck of the tubes until I got it all together. Then I could draw them back and they click into place like setting a trigger.

Thanks for the help.
--Case...
Old 01-01-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Your method on the valve cover bail doesn't sound bad to me.

And yes, it is easier to let the inner ends of the wire pushrod tube retainer slide down into the tubes, then pull them up into place.

Convincing the damn pushrods to stay seated in the lifters while you put the rocker arms back on again is the ugliest part, to me...

--DD

Old 01-01-2003, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: