Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pedal cluster out! Clutch cable not broke?

Okay for those of you that saw my last post with my pedal cluster problems. I didn't go back & try to get the one outa my parts car. I just pulled the one outa my driver that I thought had snapped the clutch cable. This pedal cluster came out easy. The 13mm socket fit on it just fine. Unfortunately both nuts snapped off on removal. Another fix to look forward too. Also my clutch cable didn't snap at all. It is complete & in good shape. I can't say the same for where it goes thru the firewall. That was no longer attached to the firewall. How do you fix this? Am cleaning up the pedal cluster tonight & putting the bronz bushings in tommorow.
Thanks for all the help-Jamie
Old 12-30-2002, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would recommend cleaning the firewall and tube to remove all paint, rust, etc and then use a MIG welder and put some small tacks in place to hold the tube at the firewall. Since this is loose, I imagine the tacks inside the tunnel are broken too so you might as well open it up, clean and preserve the tunnel area after tacking the front of the clutch tube down. Be sure to protect the fuel lines so they don't catch fire. Or you could try to find a shop to do it but they are rare. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Be sure to protect the fuel lines so they don't catch fire.
Fire = bad!

Is it just loose at the firewall? If so, John's got the idea. Here's what inside your tunnel:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_center_tunnel/911_center_tunnel.htm

Uh. This thread has some interesting ideas on how to handle the problem too: Clutch cable tube broken off mounts (if you haven't already seen it)

Good luck -- I hope you're working inside!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Clutch tube fix

I am planning on starting with a few u-bolts. Once I've installed those so I can get the dang thing to my buddy's shop. We will the weld it to. After reading some of the arcives I do not want to have to do this again. What is the most effective way to do the welds. KNowing I'll be extremely careful with my fuel wires. Do I have to cut access panels in the center tunnel or is it possible to do it thru the ones allready there? I was thinking I could do it at the firewall where it comes thru on the outside. Is that a bad idea? ALso I thought taking out the shifter & welding thru that access. That looks like it is the furthest away from the fuel lines? Does this sound allright guy's?
Old 12-31-2002, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
This is where I cut my access panels in order to weld the clutch tube. In the top picture you may be able to see the original tab sitting at the bottom of the tunnel after it had broken off.

I stuffed the tunnel with wet rags to protect the fuel lines and welded the clutch tube in a few exta places to be sure the thing did not move again. The extra welds helps take the stress off of the firewall location.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: