Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What is a 2.0 six engine worth?

I may have the opportunity to purchase a 2.0 Six of an unknown quanity for very low cost. The engine is missing carbs & distributor and the owner will sell for under $500 if I come get it ASAP.

What is the engine worth?
What does a typical rebuild cost?
Can a 2.0 be made into a larger displacement with new P/C?

I am sure this has been covered in the past but I usually only follow the 4-cyl. threads and never really thought much about a six but this seems like a good chance. I don't actually need the six as I have an awesome 2270 RAT going into my tub but it may be useful for another project.

Am I wasting my time and money here or could this be of good use in the future?

Thanks,
Old 12-31-2002, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
You can bump it out to a 2.2 with ease....the p/cs will cost ya as well as the carbs....1200, plus rebuild. Don't buy a Marelli dist.....they are NLA for parts.

The older 2.0s do not have a counter weighted crankshaft and are limitted to revving past 6K ish......more horse power can be gotten from hotter cams and such.

But when you are done, you will have close to 6k in it.....buy a good used 3.0 or 3.2. $4500 to 5500 and it will have modern FI on it.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hard to say with the info available.
Are the cyls iron or aluminum?

Either way, the case is worth maybe 2-3 hundred. If the cyls are iron, that's about all it's worth (IMO). If they're aluminum, the internals make it worth the asking price (and then some). You could part it out and get your money back, should it come to that.

Rebuilding any 911 motor is about the same price, regardless of size.
The early aluminum case is a good starting point, but needs some machine work that adds to the cost. Racers use them cause they're strong. They can be enlarged.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I acquired a complete, running 2.2S-spec engine including distributor & freshly rebuilt Weber 40's for significantly less than what it would cost you to rebuild and complete that puppy. You could spend $5K on parts alone for the P&C's, Webers, and ignition...

Just food for thought...IMHO most "core" engines aren't worth rescuing.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 12-31-2002, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I watch the prices on the sixes and the bigger they are, the more they cost, all factors being even. All of the above info is correct, IMHO. I have seen the 2.0's go for around $2000 complete and running. 3 times that for a 3.0 or 3.2. The point is that it also takes a significant amount of money to do the conversion. Motor mount, oil tank and cooler, exhaust. However, the early sixes with the push clutch should fit the 901 tranny straight away, IIRC.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: