Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Peter_Hinkle
Mounting remote oil cooler

I am getting ready to install a remote oil cooler in my 914/4 and was wondering: I would liuke to mount it upfront but what is the best location? I have chrome bumpers, fog lights, and a stock valence. I do have the AC hole though. My thought process was that if i can find a good location up front, that that would be the best place to mount it. Is that correct? Obviously, that requires alot more oil line than the rear quarter panel location but will I get better airflow up there vs in the rear? I have also seen a few mounted to the engine lid but I keep a raintray on so that is kinda out. Seems like I have also seen a few right to the passengers side of the transaxle. So, anyway, what is the general consensus (Heh Heh) on mounting location? BTW, I am using a thermostat in the sandwich adapter (mocal)...PCH

1974 Saturn Yellow 914/4 1.8/w BigBore/Webers/MSD
1988 944 Black on Black w/phone dials
Old 01-02-2003, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good news, you'll get the coolest air and (perhaps best unaided flow) up front. Bad news, it's more work. The factory GT's had them up front along with a special "vented" bumper. You may be able to use the AC hole, but remember you've got to get good airflow both in and out of the trunk.

This topic has seen plenty of mileage here, including some great pictures, so search on "oil cooler" for lots more "inspiration" .
Old 01-03-2003, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

John, thanks for the slap of reality! I don't know why I didn't think of doing a search...DUH... I bet this has been hashed over 500 times in the last year alone. I'll check it out. As an aside, i think that I am going to do everything that I can to utilize the AC hole. I think that I saw somewhere that they also made a front valence with a hole in it in order to mount a cooler up front where one doesn't have to modify the bumper. I'll take a peek in Dr. Johnson's book, I think that is where i saw it...Thanks again..PCH

Old 01-03-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey, Pete, no slap intended! There are at least as many approaches to oil cooling as there are cars wanting a cooler. I seem to remember a recent thread that talked about adding a flap (ie a "mini-spoiler") in front of the port you want to be an "exhaust".
Old 01-03-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Pete!
I am neck deep into the same thing. Based on my recent "expedition" I dont think just the GT valance will give you enough air flow. The ac hole is great for the air exit hole however. I would recommend also besides the internal shroud, installing a small lip at the leading edge of the exit hole to really create a negative pressue area to allow the "used" air to leave.

On a side note, I have decided after many private messages to abandon the RX-7 cooler. What do you guys reccommend that will fit in the factory GT cooler shroud?
Old 01-03-2003, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Scott,
Patrick Motorsports sells a Setrab cooler that fits under their repro GT cooler shroud, got 'em both, no complaints, except maybe a bit pricey.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Scott,

I know Otto once recommended a MOCAL (as memory services) which he liked with the factory syle set up....

I used an earls in my black car.
I'm putting twin fluidyne's into my orange car... but the ones I'm using are not the size you need... and not in the same location either....

Hey Scott ... I have some junk at my house that I wanted to show/give you... we gotta get together again some time.
drop me an email at:

brant914@hotmail.com
Old 01-03-2003, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I agree with the Patrick setup of cooler and shroud, unless you want to make your own ducting out of aluminum sheet as I did. My outlet is larger than the GT style but I also use the largest Earl's cooler that will fit right behind the front body sheetmetal. The air will get pulled out easily if you have a front spoiler or air dam due to the low pressure area right behind the spoiler. Additionally I'd recommend using dash 10 or 12 braided lines and run them through the right side heater box area to keep the heat away from your legs. I think Jim can suppply the lines and fittings too, but be ready for a shock when you see how expensive dash 12 braided line is. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
how does the Patrick "914-6 GT oil cooler shroud kit" work and look?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 01-03-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Had to fab a mount for the cooler, wasn't part of the kit. Also, Patrick includes a louvred panel intended to replace the trunk floor. Didn't use that primarily because the louvre apertures only add up to 25% of the cooler's cross section, choking the airflow. Also wanted to keep the tow loop just in case.

Was able to do a very stealthy inlet by notching the front valence and fabbing a bracket that pulls the rubber bumper skirt up out of the way. BTW, this repro shroud is fiberglas, not metal, so you won't want to be carrying your spare 901 up there .

Old 01-03-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Pretty!!!

I'm thinking you need an Entire website devoted to that thing.

would flipping the oil cooler to route the lines down the right side (thus using the holes already there for the AC lines) work?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 01-03-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wow, John, that is a great looking setup! That is exactly what I was looking for. Therefore, that is exactly how I will go. I love the spare.

Old 01-03-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

BTW, what are your summertime temps?

Old 01-03-2003, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Peter, Nice avatar.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 01-03-2003, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hey, If I'm gonna use a pic of a fuch as an avatar, I may as well use the highest polished one that I have ever seen to date.he he. Actually, I wanted to use one and I tried everything that I could to shrink down three different photos of my cars but they got really muddy. The funny thing is that the pic of the fuch wasn't that small originally but for some reason, it scaled really well. I didn't even have to clean it up! Speaking of fuchs, I never got that shopping list of stuff that I need to get to start polishing the wheels from you. Also, you won't believe this, I LOST MY FREAKING FUCHS LUGS THAT I BOUGHT IN AUGUST!!!! I never had them on the car. They got missplaced in the move and i have looked EVERYWHERE!!! Now I need to buy another set so I guess I better get an ad up on the .org list. Did you see my yahoo about this weekend? PCH

Old 01-03-2003, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DuckRyder
how does the Patrick "914-6 GT oil cooler shroud kit" work and look?
Here's a pic of Jim Patrick's HSR 2-liter car -- I dont think this is exactly the setup he sells though

2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-03-2003, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for the kudo's, wish I had some spare time to do a website. The guy that really ought to do a pix website is Jim Patrick, he does awesome work (as you can see above), and has a bazillion pix to prove it. He's passing up an huge marketing opportunity by not doing so.

That cooler is "ambidextrous", so you can mount it hoses-right or hoses-left. There is an argument that sez run your lines down the passenger side so if they burst, they won't be so close to your feet, but then you have to cross over in the back to pick up the tank.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Great guys. Don't give John such a big head. I've seen his car in person and it's all held together with Velcro.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hey, I couldn't afford Dzus fasteners!!!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Oh yeah, forgot about the summertime temps question. When the car is moving, the oil temp never gets much past the first mark on the (stock 6) oil temp gauge, and that goes for DE's as well as street driving. If the car is sitting and idling, I've seen it get about halfway between that mark and the next, about 9 oclock. Some day I'll add a cooler fan, but haven't seen the need yet. Jim Patrick told me he spec'd that setup for racing in the Arizona heat, and I'm sure he's put the mileage in to verify it.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: