Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Stay away from my Member

Thumbs up Woohoo, first track of the year a success

Had a nearly flawless day today at the Streets of Willow with POC. Started off with my son (Logan, 17 mos) waking up coincidentally at 4:20am with a cough...my alarm was set for 4:30. Here ya go Mommy...I was on duty last Sunday...fire up the coffee pot, quick shower, and I hit the road.

I froze my gonads off on the way to the track. It was around 35F in the high desert, and of course I have no heat, no interior, and no radio to take my mind off it. Once the sun came up, it turned out to be a spectacular SoCal day. Probably 75-80'ish and extremely clear; no wind. My face is sunburned and I was wearing SPF30 sunscreen and a hat all day. What weather for early January. Gotta love this place...

Anyhoo, all day long the car was nearly flawless. I think we have a winner here (the car, not me . I put the car in V4 class, which is where the significantly modified factory -6's and early 911's (small motors) run. Had I gone into V5, which is the modified 4-banger class (944's and 914's mainly), I would have won, and in a bigger group too. I turned two 1:21.7 -ish laps, one of which was during timed runs. I averaged around 1:24 throughout the day, which included a significant amount of traffic/passing as well as numerous spins and offs (yellow flags).

My best time ever in the Ravenna car on this course layout was around 1:27, and I would have been very happy after my 15 month hiatus and brand new car doing a 1:25 or 1:26 -- so the 1:22-25 times all day were *****en

Only things that flaked out somewhat are that my seat moved a litle bit. I don't like that...bad @#$%. Also the sub belt loosened up a couple times, and I figure the two things are related somehow. The engine, trans, suspension, brakes, and whatever else there is...all worked great.

At least one more event with the 4-banger. Willow big-track on Jan 15th, just a test/fun day. Then it comes apart again in February for the six conversion and remaining safety equipment, assuming the budget holds together.

There are at least 2 "hot shoes" in my POC class, running the Streets in the 1:16 range. So my work is cut out for me. I'm sure I could break 1:20 with my current car setup and enough seat time. There is way more car than driver, which is a good thing when you're learning. So hopefully with the 2.2S - spec sixer (180-200HP) and a switch to Hoosiers from the Kumho Ecsta V700's, we can find about 4 seconds.

Got to meet some cool new folks, including Drew365 from the web boards as well as another Chris with a nice blue 73 2.0, and see a few familiar faces too. John Williamson ("Otto") took TTOD by the way...around 1:11 and that was on some severely flat-spotted/blistered tires. They were screwing with brake bias all day, but he kept locking up one end or the other. This is the "Rudy" car (3.8RSR Motec engine, cut roof & ginther screen, around 1800lbs).

Sorry for the rambling report. Pics to follow - right now it's time for beer, food and sleep.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-05-2003, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Really cool report. You guy's gota love it out there.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Right on Chris! I cannot wait to take my 914 to the track for some good times. Sounds like your new engine is going to be a nice one! Are you going to update your web page when the new one is put in?
Old 01-05-2003, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

OK, here are the pics I shot. Not a whole lot of them, because I was busy trying to remember how to drive

http://www.nosubstitute.org/events/SOW5Jan03

Chris -- yep, I will be documenting the six conversion process pretty thoroughly. I will take lots of pics and video, and also will be able to directly compare the end results (lap times) "before and after" the swap because we did most of the chassis & suspension setup first.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Chris, what was the turnout like? I don't see a whole bunch of cars in the pics. Were you there Sat. as well for practice?. I didn't go as I had planned. I made calls to 4 of the POC staff for some info and maybe to volunteer as a corner worker. Only one returned my call and left somewhat of a vague message as to my question. So, I figured they didn't need me.

Your outing on the 15th intrigues me and I might show up there just to see. My car should be ready for the Feb weekday outing. Don't take your car apart until then, OK?

I wouldn't take it apart until you have everything you need for the conversion sitting right in front of you. These things take twice as long as you think they will. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke
Chris, what was the turnout like? I don't see a whole bunch of cars in the pics. Were you there Sat. as well for practice?. I didn't go as I had planned. I made calls to 4 of the POC staff for some info and maybe to volunteer as a corner worker. Only one returned my call and left somewhat of a vague message as to my question. So, I figured they didn't need me.

Your outing on the 15th intrigues me and I might show up there just to see. My car should be ready for the Feb weekday outing. Don't take your car apart until then, OK?

I wouldn't take it apart until you have everything you need for the conversion sitting right in front of you. These things take twice as long as you think they will. Ask me how I know.
The turnout was pretty solid on Sunday. Around 70 drivers I think. I took most of the pics at lunchtime so not everybody was around...

I did not go Saturday. It was a driving school, vs. a regular timed event or practice, so only students & instructors attended. I heard it went well. A couple students Sunday were in very high-powered turbo and Cup/RS cars...frightening. One of the Cup cars went out in my run group (White) and terrorized everybody. It was SO fast...wow.

The car won't come apart again until after the 15th Open Track Racing event, I promise.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great pics

Really appreciated the pics. At this moment, the snow is flying and the skiers are happy in this part of the world.
Keep your racing experiences coming./// Thanks//Econo
Old 01-06-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Oh, sure. Go out and have all kinds of fun with out us.
I'm stuck at work, on night shift, for 13 hours a day 7 days a week and you're ripping up the track. Nice guy.

Here's a link to why I'm stuck here: http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030106/1320000375_1.html

We trashed a gas expander (power section of a jet engine).
Prolly cost the company around $5mil after all is said and done. Dunno if it'll affect gas prices in So Cal, maybe a penny or so.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Campbell, do you have plans for an in car camera? If so, that would be awsome to see! Nice pics. Thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Way to go Chris! When I talked to you last year at Willow Springs, you sure wanted to get the car finished and I am glad it finally got it running. I agree with Milt about getting everything for the conversion and waiting till the car is FULLY DE-BUGGED before going to a bigger, more hp engine. That is why I bought a ready made race car and it took me about a year of auto-x, TT and DE to get switched from a 930 that was tail happy to the much more nimble 914. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisreale
Campbell, do you have plans for an in car camera? If so, that would be awsome to see! Nice pics. Thanks
Yes, I got a DV setup (camcorder and firewire card) for xmas and will be setting up a 'lipstick' camera and mic in the car shortly. Those 911 guys can't have all the fun with videos.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I agree John (and Milt). We want to get the suspension setup, cooling, and transmission pretty much figured out before the swap. I also still need to address the fuel cell and plumbed-in fire system. Will probably go with the Patrick setup on the former, but the fire bottle type/brand is still TBD.

Those basics won't change much with the new engine. A little more weight but nothing too dramatic.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: