Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best option to clean fuel tank

I posed this same question on the 914world forum but I figured I would post it here as well.

I recently pulled my fuel tank in order to replace my fuel lines. I realized after removing the tank it is filled with lots of black gunk and rust; however, there are no holes in the tank which I am thankful for.

My question is, what is the best way to clean the tank? I did a google search which resulted in people using vinegar, superclean, chains, hot water, you name it. A gentleman from 914world suggested Por15. My question is, what is the best way to clean the tank?

Thank you for all of your input!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi. You might want to read this up.

TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - A Dirty Fuel Tank Saga - What Will Happen Next? Tune In...

Hope this helps, Bill.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A radiator shop can most likely clean it out as well.

Be ready for the possibility of pin-holes in the tank once it is clean. Sometimes the rust and gunk is all that is plugging a hole...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
aircooled addict

Garage
ok so my racecar, an old mr2, had a rusty tank, and new one was too expensive, so I relied on my training as a chemist. Stong base will dissolve iron. so I went to walmart, bought a 3 dollor bottle of liquid lye, and a carton of BBs. I put the tank on an engine stand, plugged the holes, and added the lye and BBs. I spun the tank for about an hour, then rinsed it out. it was clean as a whistle. and to start with it was the worst I had ever seen! to keep it from rusting again I treated it with a bottle of rust kutter, which is phosphoric acid, and rinsed well. Its been in the car ever since, no issue.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have seen posts on the 'world where some have used a battery charger and a specific solution to electrically remove the corrosion with great looking results. Have not looked into the details yet myself but since no one has mentioned it here yet. Can't be much more dangerous then using acid.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you

Thanks for all the info everyone! I'm certainly going to have to clean it soon, I replaced my tunnel lines, all rubber lines and just had the fuel injectors cleaned by Mr. Injector. I was hoping for an easy solution using some sort of chemical without having to swish around bb's, or golfballs or whichever. Maybe I'll pursue the radiator shop option. Eitherway, thank you for the input!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

HI there I just bought my first 914 it's a1975 1.8 still stock. It ran but not great and got worst every week. So My son and I looked for the fuel filter and the 41 year old fuel broke and put gas everywhere??!! Filter was pluged up and a look in the tank was all rust and junk. removed tank and used muriatic acid 1 gallon from Loews. Do this outside with goggles and rubber gloves. Desolves all rust and makes the tank look new inside. Then bought a tank cleaning kit from the local Honda motorcycle shop, used the acid again then rinsed well with water. Put a warm light under tank overnight to dry out all moisture. Next day sealed the inside of tank by rolling the sealer all around inside of tank. Used a long paint brush to coat the cage. Finished with a fresh black paint job and TA DAA you have a new tank!! Installed new fuel lines and put the fuel filter on the top left side for easy change next time. Cheers hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

radiator shop is the best way to go i have had my tanks done ths way with very good results

jerry
73 914 V8 LS1
83 Audi Ur-Quattro,black
Old 11-03-2016, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: