Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trans mounts (911 Sport mounts)

Hi, about half a year ago I replaced my transmission mounts with the 911 sport mounts (which I think are really 911 engine mounts.) from the good guys at Pelican. When I installed the mounts the spacing of the holes for the two bolts and nuts on each side seemed just a little far apart (the mounting points of the mounts to the trunk floor) but they seemed to bolt up without much force even though they went in at a slight angle like / \ . I thought that seemed a bit odd but I kept my eye on them for a while and they seemed fine. Well today I happened to be looking under the car and noticed that one of the drivers side bolts was missing and that the rest were loose, ie. tranny about to fall on to the road. So I am planning to replace all the nuts and bolts with new ones, but my question is has anybody else had the trouble installing the sport mounts like this and why should they have come loose like this since I had them on there pretty tight? I mean I am only pushing maybe 80 HP to the wheels, I know these guys are using them with sixes.
Old 08-19-1999, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I replaced mine ~10 months ago. They were kinda difficult to install, it didn't seem to "fit" perfectly. But then again, they were 911 engine mounts. I Haven't had any problems, it actually helps in the shifting. Did you torque them? I think I torqued mine to about 17 lbs/ft.

Haynes book mention:
Transmisson support nuts 14.5
Engine support nuts (body) 21.7
Old 08-20-1999, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
When I bought my basket case one of the mounts were bad. (this was some time ago before pelican parts) I shopped the local parts guys and got sticker shock at the cost of mounts. (here it comes,don't laugh) So I fabricated a set of rear mounts by using two pieces of flat bar,a pair of hockey pucks, and a couple of flat washers. This actually worked great accept I should have used nylock nuts on the bolts that fastened the flat bar brackets to the rear body cross member. You guessed it, the nuts viberated off. I got a lucky break. When the tranny dropped I was barley moving. As you can probably guess this still didn't do my ansa muffler much good. BTW the half shaft angle looks real ugly when the back of the tranny is almost touching the ground. If this happened at hiway speed I don't think i'd be posting here today. As I surmized the stiffer mounts transmit alot more viberation in to the chassis. Use lock nuts, and things should be fine. Or have a couple of extra mufflers handy.
Old 08-26-1999, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
I am about to change the rear mounts on my 73 911 E with the Club Sport mounts. Any tricks to the trade as far as makking the change as easy and lasting as possible. I am assuming I can support the engine, take the old mounts off and replace with the new mounts. Am I being optimistic?

Many thanks

Chris
Old 03-21-2003, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you have air conditioning on the E, be prepared to make up a lot of new curse words. I helped a buddy of mine change the mounts on his 911 SC, and the right-rear one was a real pain due to the AC components.

You pretty much have it right, except I think you will need to lower the rear of the engine a decent amount to let the old mount drop and get room to put the new one in. I think....

On the 914 mounts, always use Nyloc fasteners or other self-locking fasteners. Period. If you use the 911 "sport mounts", you may need to to a little tweaking to the mounting ears on the trunk floor, or oval the mounting holes a bit. Just make sure the nuts run all the way onto the bolts and that everything is tight.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-21-2003, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Thanks DD

No AC :-) Do I need to worry about bending anything when lowering the engine? Can I drop the rear a few inches without taking off the front engine mounts?

Chris
73 911 E
Old 03-21-2003, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I installed the same mounts a little better than two years ago, used all fresh hardware and have had no problems, same as John. Lock washers and a spot of Locktite on the threads have kept them in place.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 03-21-2003, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: