Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
915 in a 914

I think I've decided to run a 915 tranny with my 3.6 conversion. I have a question about the shifter and linkage used to accomplish this. I know I will need to switch to a 911 shift pod, when this is done what is used for the shift rod between the shifter and the firewall? I just want to know what parts to start collecting. Thanks, I know some of you have BTDT!
I just checked out the Wevo site, Damn they have some nice stuff for the 915. Hmm.....a second mortgage isn't that bad

Also, I've searched through all the threads on oil cooler installations and was curious why no one has used aircraft coolers. They are high quality and seem more reasonable than some of the aftermarket coolers I've seen. Has anyone ever ducted cool air through the rear fender (ala boxster) to supply a rear mounted cooler??
Old 01-07-2003, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a rear mounted auxilary oil cooler and fan. It is mounted just inside of the rear bumper with an aluminum shroud around it to direct air into and through it. It works great. My engine is a 2.7 ltr. twin plug, with 11.5:1 pistons and other mods. On the track it never goes over about 260 degrees with the auxilary fan on.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

We run oil coolers on all of our race cars.. Any size of cooler will help, but the bigger the better. We mount the coolers on VW radiator mounts, the kind that are rubber with two ten millimeter studs sticking out on the bottom of the rear trunk underneath the trunk just above the right axle. With a Tilton pump drawing out the oil at a fitting at the rear of the trans, we dump it back in at the ring and pinion(there is a boss there for the breather for 901ed 911s).

Check out the Porsche Owners Club Track event Videos
Old 01-07-2003, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Have you had any problems with the tilton pumps in the past. I'm planning on using a similar setup for cooling my transmission's atf, but hadn't heard of anyone else using them.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 01-07-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a 915 tranny that I was told was converted to side shifter by Velios. I see the aluminum end "cap" has the word Velios stamped in it but how do I know if it's a side shifter? I see on one side there is a shaft that slides in and out and on the other side there is a two handled rod that rotates front to rear. Is this the side shifter that everyone talks about?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sort of, mostly. The "side shifter" properly is the 73-76 914 transmission, which is 901-based. The 915 is a "tail shifter" design, in that the linkage goes into the transmission through the end.

The Vellios "916" conversion changes the 915 to have a somewhat-side-shifter-like linkage, in that the linkage goes into the transmission from the side and not from the tail end.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-08-2003, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: