Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pedal cluster pin? Clutch tube progress!

How in the heck do you get this stupid pin out? I have it a my buddy's shop & he has tried everything he can think of to break it loose. What is the trick? My cluster is how shall we say a little rusty . So it is just not breaking loose. Tried to drill it out & even that just destroyed 2 bits with little to no progress. Thanks in advance. Oh & a update on my clutch tube progress. I put in 2 u-bolts last night. Used the access where the shifter is. I put 2 in there spaced about 10" apart. It strengthened it considerably. I am know going to add a few welds to those both underneath & on top. I was planning on welding the tube where it comes thru the firewall in the engine bay. It is fairly close to the fuel lines but I think I'll be o.k. Is welding at the firewall sound o.k?
Old 01-07-2003, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

J-
Do you have an air hammer available? Soak cluster/pin in PB blaster over night, then air hammer out. Might have to make something to fit in the hammer. Heat works, too.

Just a thought.

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 01-07-2003, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had to give mine a pretty hard wack with a big hammer and a punch. You just have to make it want to come out...
Old 01-07-2003, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
We tried an air hammer & heat. Still didn't budge. My bushing are still pretty solid but I bought the bronz bushings a while ago. I'll try again tommorow & hopefully get it to come out.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Soak it

Soak the snot out of the pin with PB Blaster (overnight), then find a short bolt and a longer bolt of the same diameter (OK, slightly smaller) as the pin. Then situate the cluster in a vise in such a way so that you can use the shorter bolt to press the pin out. This is where having a helper will come in handy, because the cluster is awkward to keep lined up in the vise so that you aren't trying to mash the pin into the opposing jaw. After you get it to move, use the longer bolt. Even if quite rusty, once it moves at all, you should be home free.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Those pins are tough! I read the tech article and started to drill mine out, break drill bit I then try my punch and break that. I then realize I can't do it with what tools I have so I gave it to a machinist friend of mine. He worked on it, put it in the press and it wouldn't budge. He tried a few things. Even showed it to the engineer to get his thoughts. Thank God I have a patient machinist friend, He mad me a new shaft!! He said it will be done today!! Progress
Old 01-09-2003, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
JM2CW,

It is probably cheaper to go to a swap meet and buy a used cluster with a less rusty pin for $5 and restore that than to fight the battle with what sounds like a real rusted on part.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Soak it in Coca cola (yes soda) and large hammer, proper size pin punch and hold cluster solid, whack it and like Woodman said make it want to come out.

1972 1.7L resto in progress
1997 blazer
1985 F250 (stump puller)
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by tshih
JM2CW,

It is probably cheaper to go to a swap meet and buy a used cluster with a less rusty pin for $5 and restore that than to fight the battle with what sounds like a real rusted on part.
It wasn't rusty at all, just a bit on the mounting plate. And besides I saved $5 because my friend did it for FREE!!
Old 01-09-2003, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I tried the vise/press method (after breaking two drill bits) and all I did was strip the drive on my cheap vise. Took it to local Porsche shop and he put assembly in his vise, heated with a torch and used a big hammer and punch. No charge, pity I think.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Amazing my night is free. The wife & kids are going to be gone. SOunds wonderful night in the shop. I think I'm going to put my original pedal cluster back in temporarily. I've got my clutch tube secure with the ubolts. I'm gonna weld it all up on monday. I"m ready to tale the leech for a spin tommorow if all goes well putting the pedal cluster back in. Also adjusting the clutch & putting in my new mechanical distributor. Gotta swap out my hotfire ignition. I am so ready to drive the leech without any hesitation. Dare I say almost powerful TIV. Let's hope for no more surprises tonight.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: