Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another wheel question...

Having the what I believe to be riviera rims wich are 5.5J, I can only fit 165 wide tires. Now id like some new rims for my cars and seen the few aftermarket rims for the 4 bolt pattern I thought I might redrill to a more conventional 4 bolt like that of current VW. I searched forums and come up that I can max fit under there 7j with 205 tires, can anyone who has this tell me the offset of the wheels so I can shop around for some, for the standard suspension ofc.

Thx
Old 01-07-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Offset and backset are often incorrectly interchanged. What you want if you are going to use 15 x 7 with 205s is 4 7/8 inch backset.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Dutchy, you actually should not have a problem putting 195X60 tires on those Riviera wheels. Possibly as wide as 205X60 or 205X50. If the rims are 5.5 inches wide, as you say, guys have been running MUCH wider tires than 165's on 914's for years. Don't compare these to VW's. 914 trailing arms are very different and will accomodate much larger tires than you'll fit on any Bug! Try it..you'll like it!
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 01-07-2003, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The offset of my wheels is 40mm. You also need to take into account is the hub bore, 60mm here. But my dust caps need the "lip" machined off. Me and Mike Meuller were just talkin bout this. I fit 205's up front w/ 5/16 spacers. No word on rears, yet. Goo thing the lip is rolled already.

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 01-07-2003, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Phonedials, sized 16x7 with 205/50/16's mounted on them fit under the stock fenders, I did have to roll the rear fender lips.

I had at one time 225/50/16's on 8" rims on the front with no problems (stock fenders)

Offset was 23mm
Old 01-07-2003, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The Rivs I had would only allow 165's to fit under the fenders. I had less than 1/4" btwn the sidewall & fender lip, even after rolling the lip. I went to an after market Fuch and 205's fit with no problems. 205's will fit on the Rivs but I doubt that they will go on the car. The backset/ offset is the secret....
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-07-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have rivieras on my car; 195s fit perfectly in the back but you better have some stiff springs or something, because they'll rub if you don't. My fenders are also rolled a bit. 195's fit up front with no problem at all.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have 205x50VR15's on my rivs with rolled fenders in the back and they fit perfectly.
03' Mini Cooper S
03' Volkswagen Passat GLX B5.5 4-Motion

Benjamin Miles Keaton (ben, lj) - RIP June 2nd, 2005
Old 01-08-2003, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

David, do your 205's extend outside the fender with the Rivs? With the low profile of the 50 series, mine, not only are inside the fender well but are below the lip as well.
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Remember, the VW Bug used wheels that sat considerably more "outboard" than ours do. Putting Rivs that were built for the Bug on a 914 won't give you the space to put more than 165s on.

The bolt pattern on our cars is 4 x 130mm. Almost nobody makes wheels with that bolt pattern, except for Bug wheels--which will only let us put skinny tires if we want to fit them under our fenders! You can pick up some Panasports, Minilites, or Revolutions, but none of those is very cheap. There are a whole lot more designs and sizes available in 5x130mm, which is the 911 bolt pattern, but we all know what is involved with that...

You want just under 5" worth of backspacing to fit 205s under stock fenders. Backspacing is the distance from the inner lip of the rim to the mounting pad where the wheel goes against the hub. (Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting pad; I never remember which way is positive offset and which is negative offset. Backspacing is simpler to remember.) Rears are always tougher to fit than fronts, and one side is almost always tighter than the other.

Someone around here had their hubs drilled for the 4x100mm pattern, which lets you pick from hundreds of Honda/watercooled VW/Miata/etc. wheels. I think they had studs pressed in, which is the way to go if you move the wheel mounting holes around in any way, IMHO.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-08-2003, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
and one side is almost always tighter than the other.

Why is that?
I thought mine was weird
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-08-2003, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"They all do that."

Seriously, I don't think there is a reason, it's just the way the cars were built.

--DD

Old 01-08-2003, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

nice, thx alot all, well on my rivieras only 165 will fit and then cant even squeeze a pinkie between the tire and fender, now to find a mechanic how can redo my hubs.... Ill see if the 4x100 or other more common set up is possible for some 16x7 wheels. Ill let you know what I will do
Old 01-08-2003, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The process for re-doing your rear hubs is the same as for the five-bolt conversion. Check the Tech Article elsewhere on this site for a description of how it's done.

The front is easier, as the front hub design is simpler. I would start with brand-new front hubs, though, as the rotor is a part of the hub. You'll have to re-do the front conversion every time you change rotors, so you might as well start with new ones so they last a while!

--DD

Old 01-08-2003, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
"They all do that."

Seriously, I don't think there is a reason, it's just the way the cars were built.

--DD
Early and midyear 911s are the same way. I heard a rumor years ago that the rear track was every so slghty off to counteract the torsional effect of accelerating. Anyone got anything on that?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: