Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question MSD and Marrelli Dizzy...?

I have an MSD 6AL installed on my '73 six conversion.
http://www.msdignition.com
I curently have the 7000rpm limiter pill in place and do not have the Tach hooked up as I need a tach adaptor, I think.

I also still have the Marrelli distributor. I've heard the the Marrelli is a POS, because of bad or inconsistant mechanical advance...yes, no, maybe? Does anyone know if the MSD can be used in a way to overcome the short falls of the Marrelli, or should I just junk it and find a Bosch dizzy?

Anyone out there have any experience with this set up?

-Mike D.
'74 2.0
'73 2.? six
'71 flares wanting V8 (for sale, BTW)
Old 01-07-2003, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The most major issue with the Marrelli is that the supply of caps/rotors/points dried up years ago. You simply cannot do a tune-up on a Marrelli dizzy!

The MSD cannot overcome a worn-out cap and rotor, even if you were able to adapt points or an electronic trigger to take care of worn points problem.

You either need to find a Bosch dizzy (getting rare and expensive) or modify a later distributor. I think it was FISHCOP that did this on the 911 board so do a search over there.

JWest Engineering
Old 01-08-2003, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Try Marelli to Bosch Conversion (Pics)
Old 01-08-2003, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I guess it is time to break down and get the Bosch dizzy. I think I've found an early one for around $200. Here in So.Cal. we've got two swap meets coming up I'll look for one at these events too. (Pamona & Dunkle Bros.)

Now I've got some strange chatter/squeek noise that only shows up under load. great!

-Mike D.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oh, anybody got the part number or numbers I should be looking for on an early Bosch dizzy?
TIA
-Mike D.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: