Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pics of how Cooling flaps work?

Hello All,

Does anyone have pictures of the cooling flaps without the shroud on the engine? I really don't want to break down my car to take the sheet metal off to see how it works.

I am mostly interested in pictures of the passenger side. Basically I am interested in how the flap works, looks like when the engine cool, and looks like when hot. As well differnet angles would be nice. As close as possible to a side view or front/side view looking towards the tranny.

I am certain mine are fine, but just for the life of me, cannot imagine how they work from the descriptions and limited pictures I have found. This is bugging me for some silly reason. Someone must have an engine out being worked on and a digital camera?

Thanks in advance,

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

no pics but I believe they are spring loaded open. the cable to the t-stat is pulled tight when attaching it, thus closing the flaps. as the t-stat heats up it gets longer, releasing some of the tension on the cable, allowing the flaps to spring open.

basically it's fail-safe. cable breaks or stretches...flaps open.
t-stat comes loose or breaks...flaps open.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by odie
no pics but I believe they are spring loaded open. the cable to the t-stat is pulled tight when attaching it, thus closing the flaps. as the t-stat heats up it gets longer, releasing some of the tension on the cable, allowing the flaps to spring open.

basically it's fail-safe. cable breaks or stretches...flaps open.
t-stat comes loose or breaks...flaps open.
This is all good, and I get that part... What I really would like to know is what is the shape the the flaps and what poistion are they in for each state. This wold then let me undestand where the airflow is going and being directed to, as well as what it looks like inside the tin where this dance is going on.

I mean how can the passenger flap (When its cold) be pulled upwards to the tin and make it so air is not going into the Oil cooler? Is air passing just above the cooler and not going in (Though nothing is beween/blocking the air and the cooler) until the flap is lowered?

When hot is the air directed into the cooler by the flap being lower, thus the cooler is not actually cut off directly from airflow when cold, but because of the flaps air just does not go there. Maybe some air does go there... This is what I would love to know.

I know it is probably really simple and easy, but untill I see it I am loosing sleep over it.

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 01-08-2003, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
No pics, sorry.

The passenger's side flap works opposite the way you think it would. This is in great part because it pivots near, but not at the bottom of the flap.

When the flap is "closed", the bottom part goes down to cover the opening to the oil cooler, and the top goes up to block (at least partly) the air going to the cylinders and head. When the flap is "open", the bottom of the flap comes upwards. It comes up far enough to serve as a splitter and direct some of the fan's air down into the cooler. The top part flops down far enough to (mostly) get out of the way of the air going to the cylinders and head.

I hope the description is of some help...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-08-2003, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by rockaria

I know it is probably really simple and easy, but untill I see it I am loosing sleep over it.
Have you tried "warm milk"?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
No warm milk! But Warm Oil helps a bit!

Thanks Dave... What you wrote makes it all fit together for me. Now that I know it does not pivot at the end I can fully picture how it works. What a revilation. I just could not get a mental pic of it working because I was sure it pivoted at the end.

Too Cool!

Thanks,

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 01-08-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

While the subject of cooling is up.....

The wire from the flaps to the thermostat changes direction at a "pulley". On my car, the wire is rusted into two pieces and the "pulley" doesn't turn (rusted, I guess). Is it a true pulley that should turn or is it just a fixed guide that the wire slides over to change direction?

This will probably be one more thing to add to my "gotta-get-one" list.

--Case....
Old 01-09-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

In the Haynes manual, Figure 1.14, the pulley is refered to as a "roller" and is held by a screw or bolt which has a smooth un-threaded portion of the shaft on which it apparently rotates next to the hex head . It seems to be similar to the clutch pulley and its retaining bolt. Looks like it's supposed to rotate to me.

Mike
Old 01-09-2003, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i don't mean to plug another companys web site but i refer to 2 sites that give good free information but i buy my parts from pelican parts!!! anyway, i will direct you to the mittlemotor web site because on that site they have the diagrams from the Porsche parts manual. you will be able to see the breakdown etc. i also go to the AA (dreaded AA) website for the similar info they also have the diagrams from the parts manual. pelican has the pictures from the workshop manual but i haven't found pix from the parts manual here
Old 01-09-2003, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

The pulley is supposed to rotate.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest I got the pics man

I just so happened to be futzing with the flaps earlier this afternoon. I'd hate to have insomniacs walking the streets like the undead so I took a couple of shots. If you have to know what it looks like, this first one is what they look like when the car is cold. Normally the tension provided by my thumb would be provided by the bellows, cold and contracted to its shortest.

Now close your eyes and put imaginary tin over the motor. In the upper image the flap on the drivers side is closed off to prevent airflow over the cylinders. The passenger's side directs the airflow away from the oil cooler. In this position the car warms up most quickly.

As the car warms up, the bellows elongate and the flaps rotate into the second position. In the lower image the driver's side flap now directs aiflow over the cylinders and the passenger side splits airflow between the cylinders and the oil cooler. This provides the most cooling.

There. Now go get some sleep. Nyquil helps. A lot.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks, Milt and Mike.

Herb, nice photos! Very helpful!

--Case...
Old 01-10-2003, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Brilliant Herb, Thanks!!

For some silly reason I originally thought it attached and pivoted at the Tranny end and not the impeller end of the flap. This is what was making my mind go nuts because I could not figure any way for that to work. But who knows with those crazy German engineers. They can make anything work!

Dave, Can we have a small Tech page dedicated to these two photos for peope like me (Those of us who are just dangerous enough to cause trouble... But have no clue as to why.)

Now I can get some sleep, glorious sleep....

Thanks so much,

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0

Last edited by rockaria; 01-10-2003 at 05:50 AM..
Old 01-10-2003, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
why is your engine installed in the car without the cooling tin?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest It's a work in progress

Blew up the motor at a Time Trial in November. This is just after I re-installed a different motor (thanks James!) and the tin went on this afternoon.

Should be back up and running within the week.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: