Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Chassis Stiffening Kits - Differences?

Last week, I saw an eBaY auction for a 914 Chassis Stiffening Kit. After I check to see what it would cost from one of my favorite suppliers , I made a mental note of what I would be willing to pay and sat back and watched the auction.

The auction is now over and all I can keep thinking is, "I must be missing something".

Pelican has these kits, new and in-stock for $105.60. The final selling price of the one on eBay was $127.50.

Are these different kits? The pictures suggest that they might be.
If they are different, does anyone know of why one would be more valued that the other.

Kit on eBay

Pelican Kit
Old 01-08-2003, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

yes , there are different kits. one has extra pieces. not sure exactly what the extra ones are or if it's just another kit's bigger piece that was cut in-two. I used to have the bigger kit, but I sold it as I never got around to installing it. If you have the templates you can just trace it out on thick sheet metal. that's all the kit is.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think in an older Performance Prod. catalog, they sold the one with two extra pieces as the "914-6" kit. Ill look later tonight and report back.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

funny, ihave a kit that is from paragon that is different from both of those.

BTW i have an extra ( they sent me 2 by mistake) if you are interested.
Brian
Old 01-08-2003, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Each vendor seems to have a sligthly different take on the original -6 (or was it for the GT's?) reinforcement. Basic idea is to thicken the sheet metal strip (basically the rear half of the "frame rail" in a non-unibody car) from the jack post back to the point where the tranny mount "crossmember" ties in. Some kits have extra pieces to double up on the top of the wheel arch, some don't, most also have pieces to "saddle" the underside of the suspension console, some don't. Some AX'ers just install the saddle piece (major PITA), if running bone stock HP. The Pelican kit has 'em all.

As for e-Bay, P.T. Barnum was right...

Last edited by ss6; 01-08-2003 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-08-2003, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

My kit was from Pelican and it is different than the one pictured. I had 2 long cresents that went on top of the biggest piece in the pic. Mine was sourced from Rich Johnson as he drop shipped directly.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Perf. Prod. catalog says the 914-6 comes with two extra pieces for the engine mounts.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: