Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
removing seats

so how exactly do the seats come out on a 72 914? I've only had the car a couple weeks, but I still can't figure out how they come out.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 01-10-2003, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Biggy72,

The seats are only held in with four small hex-head screws (using 10mm wrench) at the back of the seat, 2 on each side. Once these screws are out, just slide the seat & rack assy back slightly to clear the latch in the front and lift out.

Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

3D914 is right on. I found it VERY helpful to slide the seat forward as far as it will go to allow for easier access to the bolts
Old 01-10-2003, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i think you can remove the seat without unbolting it. if you slide the seat as far forward as you can, it is prevented from going all the way off the rails by a stop. the stop is just some little lever that can be moved out of the way, similar to the seat adjuster.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That is correct, no tools required unless you want to remove the rails too.

Move the seat as far forward as possable. Feel under the outboard slider (or the one with out the lever, I forget). you'll be able to push up on a long springy bar. While pushing up, pull the seat forward a little more and it's out. 30 seconds top after you've done it once.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Correct. No tools required.

It took me a long time the first time I did it. I couldn't figure out the release spring operation.

I suggest you slide the seat completely forward until it hits the stop. Reach under the seat rail, which is channel shape facing dounward, and feel for a flexible metal spring lever. This lever catches the stop. Press this lever up. You may have to slide the seat back a little while pressing this lever to get it to move up. Then, while holding the lever, slide the seat past the stop and it will slide off the hinged bracket.

Mike
Old 01-10-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Wear gloves, it tends to be nasty in there. (Grease + dirt.)

You can remove the seats either way; if you just need the seat itself out of the way you can slide it off. If you need the mounting bracket also out of the way you can unbolt it. I generally just slide them off, then unbolt the bracket from the floor pan if I need to--but that's me.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-10-2003, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

All the above are correct. I replaced reupholstered seats last night . I removed the seats by sliding the seats off the rails while depressing a metal tongue. No big problem. One hint to ease replacement- apply some grease to the rails. They slide on slicker than snot./// Good luck/// econo
Old 01-10-2003, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If you are real lucky you can remove the seat comllete with rails. Also no tools required! The real trick is having your floor pan rusted thru completely around where the hinges bolt to the floor. At least that worked for me on my passenger side. Nothing like finding a hole big enough to put your foot thru. I wouldn't recommend this way though. New floor pan isn't fun. Good luck & hope you find no rust surprises (No pun intended)!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
This probably sounds stupid, but I can't even figure out how to get the seat to slide forward. There's the lever on the outside of the seats that lets the seats tilt forward and backward, but they still don't move much. I can't find any springs under the seat either.....
Old 01-10-2003, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I went out and looked at it again and got the drivers side out, but the passenger side doesn't want to move at all....

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 01-10-2003, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I think the early models (1972 maybe as well???) had a stationary passenger seat
Old 01-10-2003, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
72 was the 1st year with the movable passenger seat.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeyzer
72 was the 1st year with the movable passenger seat.
Not all of them had moveable seats.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggy72
This probably sounds stupid, but I can't even figure out how to get the seat to slide forward. There's the lever on the outside of the seats that lets the seats tilt forward and backward, but they still don't move much. I can't find any springs under the seat either.....
Every P-car that I have had, the first thing I do the first day is pull the seats. Yeh, some are hard. But when you get the rails cleaned up and lubed, they work easy for anyone. Pulling the seats uncovers all kinds of interesting things, you might even make a buck or two. I replied to another thread about the history of each car as discovered under the seats and other places.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

jkeyser, according to my 914 literature you are correct starting with the year 72' "all" passenger seats were adjustable

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 01-10-2003, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Question

Another Stupid Question,

What is the wire coming out of the passanger seat cushion for?
Old 01-10-2003, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
When I went to get the car I had the guy I bought it from get a new seat since down in san fran there's alot more 914 places than up here. The seat seems to have all the same things on it, so maybe I just need to work it around some more before it'll come out. Under the driver's seat is clean as can be. I went over the car pretty well when I bought it and most of the rust has already been taken care of and it should be ready for paint in another couple weeks.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
elwood-914,

That wire is for the "Fasten Seatbelt" sensor. Most cars have it unpluged anyway. The controls for it are under the passenger seat if you want to check them.

Good luck,
Old 01-10-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

i hope when you figured out how to operate the the flat spring that you need to press up on to get the the rail clear, did'nt give you a big blood blister when it ran forward, and your finger was in the way. i've done that a few times.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: