Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

my motor head shots

Heres a few shots of my motor that I'm breaking down. So far, it doesn't look too bad. I think all the carbon bits floating around messed with the valves when doing my compression test. I think one valve could not close all the way.

It also looks like there was a pretty good leak between the heads/cylinders/case goin on. lotsa oil all over. This thing needs a serious bath.

Any comments are welcome. This is my first rebuild. I plan on having a pro do the machining and serious parts of this.

I'm not sure which pics I just posted, but I think I have 1 or 2 more.

Also, one of the CV housings (don't know real name) at the tranny has been apparantly gouged by some bearings. Can this be fixed or replaced?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

hope this works...

Old 01-10-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Nice head leakage...can't tell on the CV's the damage. If they are not tight when you move em around replace as they are fairly cheap.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page

Last edited by Bleyseng; 01-10-2003 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-10-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

must have been fun pulling the heads with the heat exchangers on. make sure who ever does your heads changes out the exhaust studs while they are working on them.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just left that short length of manifold on. Arent the heat exchangers what the heater draws heated air from? Anyways, I couldnt get it off, totally locked onto the head. I didn't want to do any damage so I just left it. So far that's the only part I've had difficulty removing. Everything else has come off no prob. But dissasembly is the easy part, right?
Old 01-10-2003, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

you need to soak the studs down for about a week. you can do it but you have to go real slow. some times if you tap very lightly with a small brass hammer on the stud/nut right after applying penetrating fluid it can help speed things.clean the exposed stud threads. some times barely turning the nut on first rather than off helps too.

the fan on the front of the engine blows air thru the duct work on the metal enclosures that surround the exhaust pipes (these are the "heat exchangers). the air exits the h/e's at the front, which goes thru some more duct work and a set of valves(or bellows) then connecting to the lower rear fire wall.

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 01-10-2003 at 09:04 PM..
Old 01-10-2003, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing the photos of your engine. Good luck on the rebuild. Nasty cylinder leak you have there. Any head damage from it?

If you're not in a smog test area you may want to consider upgrading your exhaust system to a header or at least 73-74 2.0L style stainless steel heat exchangers and muffler. The 75-76 system is not very efficient. The switch offers a noticable improvement in performance.

Mike

Whoops, I just noticed you're in CA. Do you have to retain the cat?
Old 01-11-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeah, still in the smog program. I'm rather limited on upgrades, but I don't mind keepin it stock. I've been wondering if swapping the heat exchangers and exhaust to a 73 2.0 would work. and yeah, gotta keep the cat.

As far as head damage, it looks like a lot of smudge and carbon built up, but it doesnt look like the head itself has physical damage. time to get cleaning...ugh!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: