Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

mufflers

I need to replace my muffler (74 2.0l). I am most interested in finding the quietest (or at least the least noisy) muffler option available. Any opinions will be very welcome, particularly if you have experience with several and can compare them for me. I am not a racer and horsepower specs are not a huge concern. Thanks to all for any ideas. Dave Thompson
Old 08-28-1999, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

In my limited, non-racer, experience, I feel that the OEM muffler is the quietest, by far. Next "noisier"(not really noise to most of us nuts) would have to be the Bursch. And the really obnoxious one is the Monza, and its clones. With one of those monstrosities in place, you do well to hear yourself think.

The only downside to the OEM muffler is the price, which ranges anywhere from $300 up to maybe $700, depending on which catalog you're perusing. The Bursch is probably the best buy, makes a nice sound, and it (theoretically) does some proper extraction, for a boost in HP.
Old 08-28-1999, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I once temporerily fitted a VW bus muffeler to my car 74 1.8 while waiting for a new Bursch to arrive in the post. It was far quieter than the Monza I origionally had and a lot quieter than the new Bursch. It also improved the performance noticably. I liked it alot. The only down side being it was firly low to the ground and the tail pipe came out the wrong side of the rear vallance so It looked a little odd.

If you wanted to go to the trouble of re-welding the mounting brackets to flip it over I bet you could get a quiet one for cheep.
Old 08-28-1999, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well I happen to love the Monza. It is no louder than the stock '73 2.0L that I had on it. Yes the paint peels off in the first few hours of driving. However an old trick I learned from working with exhaust systems is to take a can of 1500 degree high temp paint with you and when that baby is HOT spray it down. The paint flashes on and you have a good layer.

The sound is pure Euro-trash. I love it, a very seldom heard tight glass pack sound. Also four pipes ust looks better. Otherwise stick with the stock 73/74 muffler.

I've tried them all and none really show great gains in drivability. I think the stock pipe gives more torque, perhaps. . .

JMHO
Old 08-31-1999, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My two cents worth too. My 914 had a Monza muffler as well and I found the sound a little loud (when I need ear plugs to drive it on the highway, it must be too loud). Anyway, I removed and sealed the two inside pipes. I didn't notice any difference in performance, but it was much quieter.
Old 08-31-1999, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: