Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

bring good things to light

I've heard of people using/rebuilding with a "GA" case or atleast it seems to be pointed out when the rebuilds are in process but how about the (get ready for a punchline to a BAD joke) a "GE" case. See below.

What are the differences, respectively?
Big difference?

Thanks so much.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
A GE case is from a 1978-79 VW Transporter (Bus). Those babies put out a whopping 67hp@4200rpm with a compression ratio of 7.3:1. Can you or should you use it? Dunno.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

back to the drawing board - hahaha.
glad I found that out now.

thanks.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

These heads came from a "GE" case which, I'm told, is actually from a VW bus so that's that.

The fat lady has sung.

Thanks for the advice just the same though.

Know anyone with an inexpensive 2.0L?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

sorry wrong post.

D'oh!!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
not so fast,.... i think it depends on what you're planning to do with the car and how freely the funds flow. if you are planning to PCA race, don't use the GE case because you have to have a real P motor. if you are not in the position to buy a GA case, why not build up a motor based on the GE case. it's the pistons and cylinder sizes and compression ratio and the ECU etc that will determine the hp of the motor. i bet there is very little if any differences in bus and 914 cases. just the dipstick.... i noticed that even the oil breather mount on the top of the case is the same as a 914 1.8 & 2.0L. late bus motors were fuel injected... could do for a street car ......
Old 01-11-2003, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
on second thought, the pix in your post about the hub removal (or something removal) shows the oil filler tube mount in the lower right front of the engine. that would have to be blocked off.914s fill oil through the breather
Old 01-11-2003, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Dont worry about it, the case that is, mine is from an FI Bus been like that a while(yrs.), not complainin yet. T4 is T4 its whats inside and outside that makes it a bus or a 914. And the oil filler tube needs to be blocked
Old 01-11-2003, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

not to be a whiner but how about the 67hp??? That, I imagine, will be the final factor.

Here's how I figure the math: $$$larger p&c's = $$$used "GA" case etc.
both being relatively similiar (cost wise), wouldn't I want to look elsewhere?

Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

the one advantage to starting with a different case is you can have all machine work/cleaning done prior to reassembly. costs a few buck more but can help shorten the time line. once it's apart then you will know exactly what crank,heads,etc, you have. before you start buying stuff like a madman determine where you want to finnish and what your budget is going to allow. your call. i think you will find good p&c's are going to be alot more than a good used case. check the classifieds here. people seem to have a hard time unloading them.

things are flying here, a good CHEAP fact 2.0? stop you're killing me. you think cases are exspensive? price out 6 stud heads that still need to be reworked.

kevin

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 01-12-2003 at 08:05 AM..
Old 01-12-2003, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

differences i'm sure of
low compression pistons
smaller valves in heads
oil fill

not so sure of
lifters, maybe hydraulic?
camshaft tuned for max low end torque, but weak top end?

most of the above you replace in a rebuild anyway.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: