Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
oil guzzling..

My car's been an oil guzzler in the past month or so, it might have always been an guzzler, but since i drive it for short distances daily (10-20 miles) daily, i haven't noticed. Recently though, i made a trip up to San Jose and back to Pomona within a weekend, and my car guzzled the oil from a bit over full, to a bit below min on the dip stick.

The car has very minimal oil leak, a drop gathered at the bottom of the engine block every 4 or 5 days. I've checked the compression as per Mike Z.'s suggestion, and i'm getting a consistant 130lbs of pressure. If my understanding is correct, that's well within the green zone.

Any suggestions on what i might check on next?..
Old 08-30-1999, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are only two ways to be losing oil that I can figure on - leaking it or burning it. If you are not leaking it then you must be burning it. Have you noticed any exhaust smoke? Have someone drive behind you for a few miles and see if they can detect any smoke while shifting, deccell., accell., etc.
Compression of 130 is OK but is getting to the low end of the range. Other than bad rings, the only other places for oil to get into the cumbustion chamber is valve guides or intake (breather system).
Valve guide wear is measured by removing the rocker assemble and rocking the value stem back and forth. If you have a dial indicator you can measure how far it moves. I do not know what the spec is but those are the places to check.

[This message has been edited by wjdunn3 (edited 08-31-1999).]
Old 08-31-1999, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You might want to check the PCV valve and while you are at it, disassemble and clean the filler neck/breather box assembly to make sure the engine can breath well.
Old 08-31-1999, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: