Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Tank Sock?

Where be this filter? I've looked thru many posts and the Pelican catalog to find a discription or picture but can't even find a location of where to start looking. Sure hope I don't have to pull the tank just to check it
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-14-2003, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The tank sock is inside the tank you can remove the sending unit
if your tank is low on fuel and you can see it sitting down there.
It is hard to reach although my daughters arm and hand were
just the right size...... (she was not to happy)

When I had my tank resealed I removed the sock and went with out it, I run 2 fuel filters one between the tank and the pump and one before that carbs.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Joe, I'll leave now and be there in a few days. Just tell your daughter that there's a surprise in it for her if she does it just one more time!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-14-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
I just bought this part (111-209-147A) from a respected VW repair shop, but I've heard it's available at the dealer. The one that was on my tank, as well as the new one, install by removing the spout on the bottom of the tank and then it just slides out. Better than reaching all the way down. Mine cost about $7. I can get more if people want them.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
OK, everybody now--in four-part harmony!!!

Remember, just because it isn't in the catalog doesn't mean we don't carry it. If it's a stock part, give us a call and ask about it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-14-2003, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Are you guys talking about that little brass screen strainer over the fuel outlet, or is there something else living in the tank I don't know about?

If it's the screen, you remove / replace it by removing the fuel outlet fitting from the bottom of the tank, it has a flange that is trapped by the hose nipple and nut. You can get at it (not easily) by removing the stone guard under the front suspension and reaching up through the "access" hole. Drain the tank first, otherwise you'll drain the tank in your face . Good time to check the front fuel hoses anyway.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Quote:
Originally posted by jackmech
............ The one that was on my tank, as well as the new one, install by removing the spout on the bottom of the tank and then it just slides out. Better than reaching all the way down.
We have a winner.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 01-14-2003, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I could not get my fittings on the bottom of the tank to crack loose so I just reached in and removed it, but yes John that what we are talking about here.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the fittings on my tank were pretty tight too. A couple of taps on the wrench (poor man's impact driver) and a prayer to the wrench gods got em loose. It's not like you'd want to put a torch on 'em to loosen them up .

BTW, I needed a pretty skinny 22(?) mm crow's foot to get in there from under the car. Doable, but pulling the tank ain't that hard if it's empty. Pulling the hood off is not necessary.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: