Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
So Bummed..... any ideas?

Hi All -
Been working hard on the GT interior. The really good news is that I really thought that I would uncover at least a bit of rust somewhere in the floor - but after removing the original carpet and banging around with a hammer, then an ice pick - that floor and firewall is all there. Woo Hoo!
I really want the car to look stock 914-6 GT inside. I am making my own carpet kit out of perlon felt using rubber floors. For seating I ordered the Corbeau Classic II. They list them as a 914 upgrade and I have read their only pit fall is that they do not fit into the factory back pad. Being that I have removed the back pad I figured I was all set. They arrived yesterday and looked awesome. The factory rails bolted right up and the seats slid right in. The look was exactly what I wanted. Then I went to get into the car...
With the seat all the way back against the firewall I have easily lost 4-5" of leg room - regardless of the tilt. My legs firmly hit the bottom of the sterring wheel as well. I thought that is may be a bracket issue (perhaps I need their custom brackets...). I took the other seat and just set it on the floor rails. Still not even close. On closer inspection the factory seats have the frame rails recessed into the fiberglass and the steel firewall (even without the back pad) will not accept much more width in the shoulder area than the stock seat. Hopefully they will allow me to return them.
Any suggestions on what to use? Do the Scheel and Konig seats have this same problem? I am 6'2" 230lbs. Here is a pic of the Corbeau's.
Thanks for any advice
Scott S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 914-6 gt seats.jpg (9.4 KB, 860 views)
Old 01-14-2003, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check the Renegade Hybrids seats that we sell...

Note that you cannot get the seats without the logo, but you can specify that the logo be the same color as the seat material.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-14-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Those seats look nice! I've got Corbeau's competition seats, and wound up fabricating my own brackets (bolt hole "adjustable") for helmet headroom and steering wheel clearance. Are you using Corbeau's adapters?

Comparing a new vs old seat all the way back against the firewall, if the rake of your new seatback is more aggressive than of the stock seat, it will force your backside further forward than the stock seat would, leaving you with less legroom. You may be able to tweak this by adding spacers (ie washers) between the seat and the rail on the rear two bolts. As I recall, a little goes a long way. Good luck, and let's see some pix!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm 5'4" and I need to stretch a bit even with the stock seat all the way forward and no tilt. Those might be cool. How much were they?
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 01-14-2003, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The Koenig seats will probably not be for you. I am 5-9 and 165 and i find them to be pretty snug at the shoulders (or actually the lat or arm pit area). If i were bigger in the waist they would be tight there too. I don't have a problem with steering wheel clearance. The seat back doesn't fit completely into the back pad and the seat back is thicker than stock. That is not a problem for me since I have enough leg room, but I find that the space which used to be behind the drivers seat, where I could store a jacket or small bags, is now gone. The Renegade sounds like a good option to me.

Mike
Old 01-14-2003, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Man that stinks.

I was going to use those and had the same thoughts you did. Any way could you post pics to show the problem areas? For the price of those seats I would not be averse to modifying them to make them work, and I am not as tall as you are (but I do keep the seat pretty far back).

JWest Engineering

Last edited by JWest; 01-15-2003 at 05:45 AM..
Old 01-14-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I paid 368 for both of them, including shipping. Besides the height/steering wheel issue the squareness of the top of the seat does not fit the sheet metal indentations of the firewall - regardless of the back pad. I really don't want to change the wheel as it took me forever to find a good early (short wheelbase) embossed 911 wheel center pad and get all the horn parts working - ala 914-6 GT.

The new bad news is that I have yet to hear back from Corbeau.

For any of you that are smaller in stature I may have to sell them myself...
Old 01-14-2003, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Scott Sorry I did the same thing with my 76 LO 914, I also found out that the Corbeau Classics do not fit into the backpad.
What about removing the backpad altogether and running the Perlon up the back firewall??
Oh, by the way I asked Corbeau about the seat fittment, " only the factory seats are made to fit into the backpad", Just put them on ebay and go with the Renegades or Corbeau has that one seat that looks like the 73 Carrera RS seat with no headrest??
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
Old 01-14-2003, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I think that they would take them back, but if not let me know what you want for them.

JWest Engineering
Old 01-15-2003, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, They will take them back, however they are getting me for a 3% credit card fee charge twice (one for the purchase and one for the credit) and a 15% restocking fee - not to mention freight. All of this on an item that thier catalog shows as a great upgrade for the 914. I must admit that I will most likely hesitate/think twice before using these guys again. Live and learn I guess.

I have 340 into them (170 each) before frieght and all of those nice new charges. Being that selling stuff on the BBS is a no no - if anyone wants to "chat" drop me an email...
Old 01-15-2003, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Iam 6' 190lbs. and have konigs in my 914 with a momo wheel an they fit in the backpad fine. Leg room is good, the scheel seats and konig are the same size the only difference is the side bolsters have more of a curve to them. Also they are no longer made. If your interested I have a all cloth set of konigs for sale.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Scott, try the "914 parts for sale" section of the BBS. Also try the 914 Club ads (http://www.914club.com) and the Shoptalk Forums ads and 914 forum (http://www.shoptalkforums.com). And Rennlist, of course.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-15-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

home depot wanted to charge me 30% to take back two special order kitchen cabinets I bought. called back again and someone told me 0% (probably a mistake). went to the store and they tried getting 15%. I was firm about the 0% and eventually they got tired of dealing with it and agreed. like was said, give them a bit of a hassle and see what happens.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up UPDATE:

I wrote a long but friendly email to Corbeau. They are waiving all fee's! It was interesting. It took me a half hour to get my thoughts down in an email, and they responded in less than 5 minutes. I am very pleased.

On a random note, looks like a pretty good portion of the mile high group of 914's is getting together this Sunday to say hello, swap some parts, eat some grub... to bad most of our cars are up on blocks for the winter!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i guess the prudent thing to do is post here and see if someone nearby has a set of the seats you intend to buy installed in their car and sit in one first. i've thought that the high side bolsters would be a pain to get in and out of. not to mention worn and torn in short order.

kevin
Old 01-18-2003, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

For Sale Scott Schroeder Model Corbeau seats. Check PP Classifieds
CAMP 914
Old 01-18-2003, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Scott, glad it worked out for you with Corbeau.

JWest Engineering
Old 01-18-2003, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I'm 5'10 with a 32" waist and I tried the Konig seats in my car. They looked great and fit nicely in the back pad but they were tight around the hips. My home made 914-6 is a daily driver and it was too hard to get in and out. So I sold them on ebay.
I sat in a Sparco pro 2000 last weekend in a 914-6 at the swap meet and noticed that its just as tight as the konig.
I just bought a set of Corbeau Forza seats. Before I bought them I sat in them in the show room and they felt great. But after installing them in my car with there adapters I noticed that I sit about 2" higher than the stock seats plus I now have a nasty blindspot when I look to the left. I need to check out the back pad and see if there's any problem. The driver side is fine because I don't put the seat all the way back anyway. The Forza seat does have a removeable cushion so you don't sit as high. I took the foam out of the cushion and cut it in half so now I sit about the same height as stock. My knees used to rub on the steering wheel until I bought a spacer ring for my MOMO Montecarlo 14" wheel. Now I don't have any problems.

Hope the above helps!!
Old 02-05-2003, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

With early headrests, and donor seats, you can throw a set of these together in a couple of evenings.

-straight face-

Miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprtseat.jpg (21.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 02-06-2003, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: