Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Speedo cable rear seal

I need to replace the rear seal (o-ring?) where the speedo cable goes into the trans. Is this something I could get at the local hardware store or a FLAPS? Anybody know what size? I don't want to take it out to look because I want to have the replacement in hand when I remove it so I'll spill as little of the tranny fluid as possible during the change-over.
Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 01-14-2003, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You can lift/jack the rear of the vehicle up high enough and remove the angle drive without fluid leaking out. Then you can take the o-ring and angle drive with you to find a match. I bought mine at PP when I was ordering other stuff but I remember reading here that listers were able to find a match at the local hardware store.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here is one more pic...

After I fixed this leak, then the tranny started leaking from the output flanges (where the inner cv joints connect). When I pulled my drivetrain to replace the engine, I replaced the flange seals and main seal by the throw out bearing. That pretty much fixed it for me as far as tranny leaks. Bone dry ever since....hmmm maybe I forgot to put in tranny fluid....lol

Last edited by azkiwi; 01-14-2003 at 12:32 PM..
Old 01-14-2003, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks azkiwi!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I've seen guys run the 901 gearbox DRY and not kill it. One of the few really durable parts on these cars...
Old 01-15-2003, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

guards73,

You are correct about the 901, you can run it dry and pretty much nothing will happen, although I dont reccommend that.

As for the seal at the speedo drive, I have seen a couple of instances where the bore for the drive had warped, and it kept leaking, even after a new seal was installed. My solution was a new seal plus a large amount of RTV around the drive itself.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

When I bought my 914 V8 car the tranny didn't leak at all. That's because the PO drained all the fluid and didn't bother to tell me. He even started the car up before i bought it, I figured no one would do that with a dry tranny. After I got it home and hooked up the shift linkage and got the engine running right I took it for a drive. after about 15 minutes of "spirited" driving including wearing about 1/8" off the back tires I heard the tranny starting to whine. I took it home and discovered the dry tranny. I had a spare so I swapped it out. The only damage was some wear on the ring and pinion gears.
Amazing that that 25 year old tranny could take over 300 hp with no oil and still not break under abusive conditions.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Jared, the bore doesn't warp. It gets ovaled from wear. There's a hard steel drive shaft riding in a bore in the soft magnesium-alloy cover. Wear is something to be expected.

Hmm, I wonder if there's any call for a steel sleeve that gets pressed into the bore? Hrrr.... Too much machining to install, I would think. Oh well.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-16-2003, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: