Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Been sitting a long while........

My car has been sitting a while. I just read the thread about what to do before trying to start a 914 thats been sitting a while. I am curious, what's the longest time someone had one sitting undriven and got it to start after taking the proper steps? A couple of years? Longer?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

5 Years

The person I bought mine from said it had been five years. She helped me push it to my house (3 houses away). Once I changed the battery and cranked it for a good 45 seconds, it started right up. Now that I give it lots of TLC it is no where near as reliable
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 01-14-2003, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

In a couple of months I should have an answer. I have a fresh 2.0 rebuilt in 1984 and never installed. Never had oil. Turns over fine by hand. It will go in my car this spring. If it runs, 19 years should be a record. Next question will be: how long will it run and how much oil will it leak?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When i bought mine, it had been sitting under a tree for an indeterminate period of time. One tire was pancake flat. I trailered it home, put in a fresh battery, sprayed some starter fluid into the airbox DID NOTHING ELSE and the little sucker fired right up and sat down to idle. Original injection is neat when it works.

76 912E RS (i.e. "Real Slow"); 63 Volvo P1800 "S"; 71 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1; 17 Shelby GT350; 99 996 coupe; 90 ZR1 Corvette
Old 01-14-2003, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
so it didn't have any oil in it? doesn't it have condensation or anything in it then, or how bout rust? The rings are probably never gonna seat if it didn't have anything in it. Fill us in when you get it goin, that'd be pretty cool if it was good to go.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 01-14-2003, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It has always been indoors. Outside looks like it was rebuilt last week. Inside? Who knows. It turns easy using the fan pully. Probably won't get to it until March. I'll let you know.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

16 years. I fired up my '70 in Oct. last year after it sat in a lawyers garage since '86...and almost everything worked!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

7 Years. Last November. Installed new battery, checked the oil, and hit the key. Fired right up and idled fine (1.8 injected).

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 01-15-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

5 years outside no cover. Interior was all taken out and put in both trunks a basement and a barn, Tires were almost new when put in the field, now all dry rotted, engine had no drip tray so carbs became a funnel, replaced rings new carbs need to replace pitted cylinders. Also found that the clutch wont disengage and have to redo all brakes. Cant wait for the warm weather to start having fun.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Mine sat in a pole barn up here since 1984 in MN without any steps for "storage". A friend ( local genius) helped me fire it up in his shop in Feb of 2000. Motor was stuck, all 4 brakes were stuck, ( fresh Maaco paint though) and we all pushed with the car in gear to unstick the motor, it ran for a while and dropped a valve seat, then lost 1st gear,popped the clutch tube. It was drivable, but smoked due to dirty carbs and pushrod tube seals. Rebuilt it, got correct tires/wheels ( 20 year old crusty Vredesteins) chase the mice and Mexican interior out of the inside and fixed EVERYTHING and now it love it!

Last edited by guards73/2.0; 01-15-2003 at 07:23 AM..
Old 01-15-2003, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Not right in the head

Send a message via Yahoo to nutzforporsche
The 2.0 that is now in my car, sat in the old body for 9 years outside. The engine turned over by hand very easily. I flushed the engine ,changed the earl with mobil1. New sparkys, etc and it runs great. I think the fresh rebuild the PO had done and only 3500 miles on it when I got it helped alot. Even the head pressures are fantastic!
Thats realiability folks!

Steve
Old 01-15-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
14 years. My car sat outside covered from 1985 until 1998. I changed the fuel filter, oil, drained gas tank, refilled with new gas, spark plugs, and after about 2 hours worth of on and off cranking, a lot of cussing, and a few whacks with my trusty 13mm wrench, she started right up. (Ran, but poorly, off and on like that for about 2 weeks then I decided to rebuild . . .Glad I did!)

-Chris
Old 01-15-2003, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Puny Bird

12 years, stored inside.
It had 3 frozen injectors, once I changed them plus all the filter, oil changes, etc. it started up.
Drivable, but it needs a new main and pushrod seals.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: