Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
!973 Porsche 914 paint

I live in Corona located in Southern California. After30 plus years I'm putting my garaged 73 914 back on the road. It's stripped, primed and ready for paint. I went down to finish master paint supply to purchase the original color Bahia red L30E.They told me they can't mix that color-no codes. I called corporate finish master and they said the reason they can't match the paint is that the original contained lead. Where can I buy Bahia Red in southern ca.? Should I paint it Malaga Red? They can mix this color. They said take them a sample of the Bahia red and they will try to match the color. Where would I find a sample of Bahia Red? I will be reselling this vehicle. Will a color change hurt the price?

Last edited by gdgalla; 01-19-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

take a small painted part off the car for them to match the paint to like the engine lid if that is the color you want

jerry
73 914 V8 LS1
83 Audi Ur-Quattro,black
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Malaga Red is a brick red type color. Bahia Red is a much brighter and redder color. Malaga was also a 76-only or a 75-76 color; it was not available in on 1973 914s. If you want to keep things pretty original, do as Jerry said; take a part to them that has been protected from the sun and has not been repainted.

Color changes traditionally hurt Porsche values by about 10%. 914s have historically been less affected by this, but I think it is starting to matter in recent years as the value of the 914 rises.

Decent paint jobs are not cheap. This is especially true for decent color changes, as the door jambs and the insides of the trunks and engine bay and so on need to be prepped and painted. Otherwise the job looks cheap. You rarely will recoup the cost of a paint job in the extra selling price of a car.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

a headlight cover wwould be an easy part to take off for a paint match

jerry
73 914 V8 LS1
83 Audi Ur-Quattro,black
Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: