Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Got the 911 3.0L in my 914 now how do I hook up the CD???

I have a 1983 3.0 SC engine in a 914-6. I just put the whole thing in and now I need to figure out the CD box. The CD box is a Permatune unit. I have never messed with a 6 pin CD. My question is where do all the wires go?

6 pins... 2 pins are jumped and have green wire that goes to the distributor.

There are 2 brown comming out of one pin (one solid brown, one brown w/white strip) I suppose the brown with the white stripe goes to the negative side of the coil? Does the solid brown ground itself on the fan housing next to the coil?

One wire is black with a violet stripe.. does this one go to the tach?

One wire is white... goes to the positive side of the coil?

One wire is red... goes to the ignition, key on?

One other thing, it is a good idea to ground the CD body to the car when mounting it?? Or Should it be isolated from ground?

NEXT TOPIC:
The alternator/fan shroud has 6 wires comming out of it. The car has Carbs, No FI. Should I ground all 3 small brown wires? The largest red wire is connected to the battery.

What do I do with the smaller red wire? This wire has positive power all the time.

Does the smaller blue wire go to the guage? Alternator warning light?

Thanks for any help, I just put oil in the car tonight for the first time and cranked it over. I am worried about properly hooking up this CD before I fire the engine. Any help is greatly appriciated. THanks, Mark
Old 01-15-2003, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

One suggestion would be to check the Permatune web site. They used to have tech articles online, I think.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-15-2003, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Another suggeation would be to sell that piece of crap and use an MSD instead. Much more reliable it seems. Common upgrade on 911s.

JWest Engineering
Old 01-16-2003, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

LOL, I didn't go down that road, but yep the Permatune does not seem to have a great rep, especially with mechanics. OTTOS hates them and generally uses Bosch CD's. MSD or Crane seem like better choices than Permatune too, as far as aftermarket stuff.

That said, I had a Permatune on my old blue car for like 10 years w/o any problems. I have heard rumors that the newer boxes are far more problematic - "they don't built 'em like they used to"

I have a Crane on my current big-four. Hi energy multiple spark, programmable redline (ignition cutoff) and seems reliable.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-16-2003, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd go for the Ditch the permatune and find a MSD6AL unit and a MSD high vibration coil. You will love it with the carbs. Only downside is that you will need non solid core plug wires so go with magnecors plug wires.

Regarding the Wiring of the Alt.

I took the brown wires off of the harness and grounded the ALT directly to the case. I have an internal regulator in the alt.

The blue wire goes to the alt light in the dash

The small red wire, take it off or cut it to lenght and make isolate it correctly.

the larger red wire... Shouldn't it go to the starter?

Did you buy 3.0L intake manifolds for your webers or are you using standard webers intakes. If using the standard ones, be aware that the don't seal properly between the intake and the manifold as the intake shape is formed like an egg. The way to solve this is by using insolator from PMO that go between the intake and the manifold and using the gaskets that come with this kit.

HTH

Marc-Andre Morin
70 914-6 conversion 3.0L Webers
Old 01-16-2003, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a set of brand new Webers on the car with new PMO aluminum manifolds that have matched ports.

So what you guys are saying is ditch the whole 6 pin CD thing and go with a MSD CD and coil?
I got my permatune box for free and I really wanted to use it because it looks all new but oh well, crap is crap.

Does any MSD 6AL box work or is there a feature to look for?

I'd like to fire the car up, everything is ready but no spark. I went to permatunes website and found the right wiring, maybe this box is no good. Hmmm, I want to start this dam car soon.

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

Old 01-16-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Basically either an MSD6 or MSD6AL will work. The 6AL has a softrevlimiter that the MSD6 doesn't have. If you by a 6AL used, make sure that it was on a 6cyl. I think one has to cut some wires on the side of the box to tell it that it's firing a 4,6 or 8cyl.

You might be able to use the existing coil but i went with the MSD high vibration unit (the one that can be mounted upside down).

HTH

Marc-Andre Morin
Old 01-17-2003, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A SC engine /distributor does not like the signal from an MSD box. I'm not quit sure why but when I did mine, my mechanic said every time he has tried to use a MSD on a SC engine it cause a miss/ or ran poorly. (On a SC engine, it could be because the distributor runs backwards in comparison to most 911 engines). I have used a MSD6AL on the 914/4 for years and love it. When I bought my SC engine he has adamant about making sure to get the 6 pin Bosch Box. Which if you can find one they are around $500 used, and Otto will buy all of then that he can find.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Connecting the SC signal wire to the msd box was a bit trivial i have to say.

The hard thing is to splice correclty into the shielded green wire and test for polarity. IIRC, the MSD box will give alot of advance if the polarity is reversed. (using the green and purple wires from the MSD). This is probably wire it ran poorly?

The easiest way to splice into the signal wire from the SC dizzy is buy getting a replacement wire with a bosch connector at the end. This is a small green wire (about 4 inches long) with the connector to plug into the dizzy and at the other end it has a bosch connector that will accept a connector like the ones used to connect the wires going to a bosch injector.

You then spilce into your bosch injector connector and plug it to the signal cable. Runs poorly, too much advance, then reverse the wires on the injector connector and the problem should be solved.

HTH

Marc-Andre Morin
Old 01-17-2003, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: