Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Won't go past 4K in 5th

Whilst trying to get rid of intermittant missing I've replaced everything except the trigger points. I even traced the wires from the ECU to each component and found them to have continuity. My injector boots were reversed and I corrected that.
Cleaned all injectors including the csv. Then re-timed.
I timed to 27 BTDC and it ran rough. I found another red mark 1 fin to the left of 27 BTDC mark and timed to it. Very smooth running, so I left it. Drove it and the miss was gone and I could pull rpms up to 5K with ease. Very good pulling power. The only thing is it won't go beyond 4K in 5th... that's it. It used to go beyond.
Can this be the timing limiting this Calif. 1.7 or is it pooped?
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-16-2003, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Make sure the throttle butterfly is full open when the pedal hits the stop on the floorboard. That usually takes two people to check it. Also put on a fuel pressure gauge that you can see in the rear window and then take it for a drive and see if pressure stays in spec at hight speed. I had to do this several years ago and I put in a tee in the pressure line and used a couple of feet of FI hose and taped the gauge to the rear window right in the middle. I found pressure was dropping off to less that 20# and hight RPMs. Good luck
Old 01-16-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did you just have to bump up the psi a couple #'s to accomodate?
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-16-2003, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I got a new fuel pump and shortly after a new regulator. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hello John! just one thing now I think Bruce is using 2.0 Injectors in a 1.7 would that make a difference? Bruce correct me if I'm wrong. I think there is a calibration difference?

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 01-16-2003, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I changed the injectors to 1.7's trying to make the car run better. My problems started after I changed from the 2.0's to the 1.7's and removed the decel valve. I'm thinking on replacing the 2.0's & see if that makes a difference.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-16-2003, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: