Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fog light wiring

I recently retrofitted a pair of stock, bumper-mounted fog lights onto my '75 2.0.

BTW, in case anyone cares, the inner steel bumper IS different depending on whether the car came with or without fog lights from the factory, as I discovered after cutting out the rectangular openings for the lights; the mounting ears were missing on my bumper, so I needed to exchange it for another '75 bumper that originally had fog lights. This doesn't make much sense from a factory production perspective, but I digress...

I see the wiring to which the fog lights are connected in the front trunk . However, I can't seem to locate 2 of the 3 wires under the dash that plug into the fog light switch. The Haynes Manual wiring diagram for my year car clearly shows the three wires going to the switch, but I can't seem to physically find them.

Has anyone installed the stock foglights on a car not originally equipped with them? If so, did you locate the wires under the dash?

Thanks! Looking forward to actually turning my lights on!
Old 09-04-1999, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I have the same lights on my 75 2.0L, it seems the PO also had some rewiring done. Somewhere on the net is an article (originally posted in Pano I think) about wiring the fog lights so they work without the headlights up. Sounds cool right? Well all was not "cool" when I was driving, I smelled that "Oh crap, not again!" smell of overheating wires. I reached under the dash and "Yeow!" it was toasty.

IMHO unless you are looking to go concoarse, the 914 electrical system was O.K. when new, but with 25+ years of corosion (resistence) adding any more strain to the factory fuse box (where my lights are hooked up) is a bad idea. What I would do (actually what I plan to do on my car) is wire a separate circut (10 ga. wire) to relays up front that tap off the factory switches, but where the actual power to the lights is off the new wire. Jacobs electronic sells such a kit as a "magic" upgrade for factory lights. They make claims of twice the light power (which makes sense, less resistence in the wire = more light to the bulb) when useing their kit "in some vehicles".

Sorry, not the answer you want, but if you're not going concouse, just my $0.02

If now one else has the answer, give me a week and I'll dig under the dash of my car to see how things are wired up.
Old 09-04-1999, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Funny you should ask... I had been planninng to put fog lights on this weekend. Started this morning and found the 12V input to the switch and the output to the F/L relay coiled up under the dash just below the emergency flasher switch. Didn't look for the ground wire. Only used the wire to the relay because I'm bypassing the high beam cutout. Ran a separate power wire to a relay up front and used the white with yellow from the existing relay as a switch for the new power relay. Mine is a 74, and apparently never had fog lights, but all of the factory wiring seems to be there. Since I had the bumper off to mount a light bracket, I figured I touch up the paint. Hope to finish up the project tomorrow. An additional note, I seem to remember that the writeup on wiring the circuit to operate whenever the ignition is on, independent of the headlighs is on the GPR site (I know it's another supplier, but I printed it out a couple of years ago, before PP)

------------------
Harvey

[This message has been edited by HarveyH (edited 09-05-1999).]
Old 09-05-1999, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: