Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
914 - 914/6 conversion

For future thought. Could someone tell me the average cost to convert a 914/4 to 914/6 assuming all work would be done by a reputable shop.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 09-07-1999, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Since you are having your engine done over at Black Forest, they also do pretty good 914/6 conversions. They just finished one a couple of weeks ago with a stock CIS engine that looks pretty good. But the thing to remember, is the cost to do it will never be recovered and it will have to be done the right way. Figure 5k or so for a used engine, 2k or so for all the necessary parts, i.e. front oil cooler, etc and then the labor to make it all happen, probably several more thousand. If were me, I would opt for a 2.5l four as they have pretty good power, you can do two for the price of one six and they can do pretty well at an autocross.
Old 09-07-1999, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Well look at the conversion article on this page. Then look at their catalog. Now either shell out big bucks, or wait maybe 1-2 years and aquire the parts at swap meets, from people who abandoned projects, the internet. Be carfull though, a used flywheel may sound good for $50 until you find out it is too thin to be surfaced, or the oil tank you bought has a leak. If you know alot about these conversions (start learning now) and can aford to use the car as a second car then this is one way to go. Not the "right" way, but an acceptible way.

Or the "right" but cheaper way. Ask Pelican, but I think the conversion parts go on sale from time to time (new suplies of NOS parts pop up) so buy a peice now and a peice later. Get it all together then find a shop that has done this before (man, a new thread about shops alone could be started) generally a shop that hasn't done a 914/6 conversion before may low ball the price not knowing what can of worms they are opening. Then either they charge you more at the end, or cut corners to increase "profit margin".

About used motors. "Buy the best/newest one you can" (Excellence Magazine) is a good idea. A 2.7 motor out of a car with records is better than a 3.0L from a junkyard. Forget the stolen goods factor (Porsches are "hot" cars) for a minute, but just a top end rebuild is expensive, then there are the chain tensioners, are the head studs new, etc. You DO NOT want to rebuild one of these motors, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

If you put 200hp ina 914 you MUST upgrade the brakes suspension. Unless you want to have a fast car that won't stop. In that case buy a Mustang. So add $500-1500.
Old 09-07-1999, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Well said, JP. He's just about hit the nail on the head here. My conversion was an iterative process. I did the brakes and suspension ~1990 in San Diego (the same Black Forest mentioned earlier). Did a big 4. . .rebuilt a big 4. . .rebuilt a big 4. . .gave up. This winter, bit the bullet and went with a healthy 2.7 six, and even though it cost just about the GNP of several small nations, once the engine was broken in, and all leaks were chased and corrected (there WILL be leaks in this process), I feel as though I've been transported to another region! Nothing in the world can compare with the punch you get out of these cars that have been put together well! Sorry, I started rambling there, I'm OK now. Anyway, start slowly. Do the brakes and suspension first. Develop your driving skills so that when the car is the weak link in your driving, you then move to the six. You will be rewarded!
Old 09-08-1999, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you all, for your excellent advice! I think I will take my time and acquire parts from PP when I can. Lets see, there's Birthdays, fathers' day, Christmas, Valentines, Easter, Halloween?... That may be pushing it. Oh well, two - three years.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 09-08-1999, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Ahhh...The six conversion....
Would I do it again? NO
Will I ever get back the $$ I have in it? NO
Am I satisfied with it? YES
Will I ever sell it? Sure 17K
Does my wife like it? Heck NO
Do "I" like it? Heck YES
Do I get a lot of comments on it? YES, the cops pull me over to look at it...No tickets.

Do I recommend doing one? Yes, if you want the experience, if you just want one, buy one that is done.....

Just my $.02.

Old 09-08-1999, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: