Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
jonbjornclark

Garage
large capacity oil filter, 914 big bore 2.0

Hi Friends,

I have a hot-rodded '71 1.7 engine with JE 101mm pistons, cam work, heavy valve springs, etc., and the PO utilized a large capacity motocraft oil filter to increase oil capacity and help with cooling. It appears that the Mahle OC61 filter also fits,(which I always have around for my 911t) and holds an extra quart or so of oil vs. stock. Am I missing something or is this as good an idea as it seems? No external oil cooler, by the way, in this rig.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

Jon
Old 06-23-2017, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The only downside I can think of is that it may take longer to get oil pressure after an oil change. (Do not pre-fill the filter when starting a "dry" engine for the first time!) If there isn't much oil in the pickup tube--especially if there is no oil--the pump may not be able to generate enough pressure to push against the large slug of oil inside the filter, or at least not for a little time.

If the oil light goes out in good time, I think you'll be fine.

...Oh, I did think of other (likely minor) down-sides. First, if the filter is taller than stock, it can wind up being the lowest thing under the middle of the car. It would then be vulnerable to damage from something going under the car. You'll want to double-check that! Second, if it is wide enough it may be difficult to get ahold of it well enough to easily remove it. And in either case, it may make things more difficult if you ever decide to add a "sandwich plate" adapter to feed an external oil cooler or similar device.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'd recommend a Mahle filter over the Motocraft anyday. The upgrade in quality alone is worth the change.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 06-23-2017, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
jonbjornclark

Garage
Thanks for the opinions, guys. Clearances look fine all the way around, and I haven't fire it up yet(still in assembly), but I'll watch the oil pressure gauge and light carefully at start up. Cheers!

Jon
Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Adding a large filter does not improve cooling. Just take a little longer to heat the oil up and then you have a large heat volume. No real down side , no real gain. If you need more cooling add a cooler. Do you have an oil temp gauge and if so how hot does it run under extreme conditions of high ambient and high engine load?
Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: