Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
cycling has-been

Tuna can?

Can someone direct me to the 'tuna can' referred to on the oil screen threads?

It's my first-time oil change on my 912E and it's been a while since I did this on my 71 914. - (like 40 years)

FWIW, the screen did not come out readily and I've got to crawl back under to see what's going on.

Anyone explain the pro's and con's of the tuna can?

Thanks

Bill K
Old 07-08-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't see the "tuna can" in our catalog. Its more proper name is the "Weltmeister Oil Trap". You can call up and talk to the Sales department to see if we do still carry it.

The tuna can helps keep oil around the oil pickup in a corner. That way the oil doesn't slosh away as quickly and you can maintain oil pressure in a corner for longer. The deep sump we carry does the same kind of thing, but holds more oil.

The downsides: The bottom of the oil trap is lower than the bottom of the engine. It can become the lowest point of the underside of the car in that area, exposing it to potential damage from objects on the road. This is generally less of a concern in the 914, as there is lots of stuff around the engine, but if it does hit something hard it can really ruin your day. And your crankcase.

The tuna can is held onto the engine by the single bolt that holds the oil pickup. This is something of a weak point in the engine, as overtightening it can bend one of the case through-bolts and break the case right by some of the cam bearings. Not good, and again meaning you need a new case.

I have heard that the exposure problem is worse in the 912E chassis, as the engine is out at the end and less protected than in the 914. I have an oil trap on my 914 and am glad of it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Thanks Dave. I was hoping you would chime in.

Bill K
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: