Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
AccuSump Question

How many of you use an AccuSump on your 4 cylinder track car if you use a deep sump?
Also.......if you use one how do you set it up?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had one on one of my two 914/4s . I am not sure it was really worth it. Plus it took up space in the trunk. I never ran a "deep sump" on my 914s (stock 2.0 with accusump, 2056 w/o) but did run a "tuna can" extension. The car w/o the accusump was also run on some banking (Nascar Turn 1 at Pocono for instance) and was ok.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I use one on one of my cars (not a 914 or air cooled) and its fine - the trick is fitting it correctly with a zero (or close to) pressure check valve so it only supplies pressure to the engine and not back into the pump. I use a manual valve and turn it on 5-10 seconds before starting the engine if its been sitting a while to help get some oil to the extremities

I'm in the UK so don't have many ovals like you guys to contend with, but pressure wise I've never seen a flickering oil light since fitting it, even towards the end of a 20-30min session at Rockingham (UK) where there's a "straight" with a banked corner 1/2 way along on the long super sport layout (never been on the full oval there)

Link to Rockingham web site for reference - Rockingham Motor Speedway – Europe’s fastest racing circuit.

The only issue I've had with the Accusump has been blowing the end plate out of my first one! The threads are pretty fine, and after sitting with pressure in it for a while one of the end plates just gave out and dumped a litre of oil in my footwell! On inspection the tube had expanded rather than the end plate distorting. The solution seems to be to fit the mounting clamps at the ends of the blue middle section so it helps hold the tubular section together around the threads - I originally installed mine with the clamps about 1 inch in at either end which may have contributed to the popeye can of spinach effect

Photo of mine installed for reference in the passenger footwell

Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: