Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
Had to open my big mouth..

Well, just when i posted that my car was finally "street safe".. my car decided to warn me against bragging like that.

symptoms:

1. rough idle when cold, this has been going on for about 2 weeks now.. maybe it was my pre-warning sign, if it was, i missed it, i just thought attributed it to warmup time.

2. backfire when cold (2nd day now), 1st day, backfired a couple of times on my way out the door in the morning. Today, on my way out to work/school, it was backfiring consistantly throughout shifting, i got about 2 blocks before deceiding i didn't want to risk long term damage (too late?) so i'm sporting the *cool* neon today..

3. flat in my powerband at 2800rpm (this morning) during my short drive this morning, i noticed the car hesitating..

my best guess:

I need a valve adjustment, i'm right about 2700 miles right now, and having driven up to san jose from la, then back, then to santa barbara, full day of auto-x, then back to la. I was going to do the adjustment this weekend, but i think it just got pushed up on my priority list.

assessment on if that (valves) can be the culprit?

While i'm at it, i've ordered pushrod tube&seal from PP, any words of wisdom on the issue of replacement? (besides what's been covered recently) ie. rocker assembly removal and attachment? is it tricky, or is it pretty straight forward?

thanks guys,

Jeff
Old 09-14-1999, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Obvious question but I have to ask, did you check the timing?. Are the vacum advance and retard hoses connected?.
Carb or FI. I'm not familiar as some others maybe with your setup.
Old 09-14-1999, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Obvious question but I have to ask, did you check the timing?. Are the vacum advance and retard hoses connected?.
Carb or FI. I'm not familiar as some others maybe with your setup.
Old 09-14-1999, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The timing was checked about 2 weeks ago, hoses are all still connected, and i have the stock FI setup.

Mike suggested it might be the cold start valve, and the need for a valve adjustment..

any takers with mike?..

Jeff
Old 09-14-1999, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I've had similar problems due to bad connections. It wasn't heat sensitive, and every once in a while the power would come back on. pull off the spark plug wires and reinstall them. Check the connectors on each injector (this was my problem) and the grounds under the intake. In short, unplug everthing, ONE AT A TIME, clean it off with a wire brush ('cause it works), dab some dielectric grease on it, and plug it back in.

Check the condition of the plugs, they will tell you which is/are the offending cylinder(s). Then check compression before the vavle adjustment. It might tell you if one of the vavles got tight (ready to drop) so you can look for it at the adjustment. Vavles usally strech (giving some warning) before they drop.
Old 09-14-1999, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tricks for taking apart the rocker arm assy

1. Be sure to have 4 plastic bags (numbered 1 to 4) to put each rocker arm assy set into

2. Make a box with 8 small holes in the top to place your push rods into.

3. check you pushrods for bends or damage on the ends.

4. go ahead and purchase a couple of new 7 mm nuts, in case you loose one.

5. Clean the head to pushrod tube journels so that the new o-rings are less likely to leak.

6. Have fun...
Old 09-14-1999, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wait a minute......Does my bumping and lurching at approx 2500rpm (while cold) indicate a problem w/ valve adjustment? I was just fine being lazy and letting it go for another week or so...BUT...if it is indicative of a pending disaster (drop) then I will move it up on the list priority wise.
Old 09-15-1999, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My car has only backfired in one situation, and it was distributor related.I had a ground come loose on the lower fuel injection trigger points (located below the normal set of points) and it caused my car to fry the regular points and condensor - 4 times. when you say lurching, do you get a miss at 2800rpm's? This is exactly what my car did. Being that these distributor parts are cheap, I would start there before pulling the heads apart.
My $.02
Scott S
Old 09-15-1999, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It does sound like *my* car is missing due to an electric problem. I started it up again last night, sat there and listened for a while next to the engine. The engine is misfiring, but not on a consistant basis, and i don't think on the same cylinder. I do have the pertronix unit, and it's been working fine until now.. is there a way for me to check if that's the problem?

thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-15-1999, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the great input, I've now got a full weekend's worth of checking to do. Most of the suggestions (cleaning connections, etc..) are good mantanance procedures, so i think i'll give the pertronix a little more faith, tune up everything else first, and then the ignition unit.

In case i do end up finding out the pertronix is bad, what would be a good replacement for the money?.. i'm VERY reluctant to go back to points.

thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-15-1999, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The Allison/Crane optical unit is good. It also has a built in rev limiter, for those days when the autocross course is real tight and you can't watch the tach....^)
Old 09-15-1999, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well Brian, you were right, popped off the distributor cap, everything looked ok.. but wait.. what's that little shinny metal stuff?.. metal shavings.. where's it coming from?.. the magnets from the pertronix.. the upper part of the cylinder slide right off when i pulled on it, leaving the 4 magnets stuck to the rotor post.

Well, i'm going to get the crane xr-3000 tomorrow, i'm HOPING (cross my fingers) that's my only problem.
When i re-assembled the top of my engine (head sensor problem, ref. rennlist), the throttle suddenly jumped to 3000. BTW, i did NOT disturb the distributor while trying to take the engine shroud off, so the timing should still be right.

could it be messed up dwell due to the bad pertronix? would a side effect be VERY sluggish throttle response? that's what i got before i pulled the pertronix out, near full throttle, but no accelleration. OR... did i forget to plug a wire or hose in somewhere? (can't find any upon visual inspection)

more tomorrow, can't test it now because i don't have the original points and condensor anymore..

Jeff
Old 09-16-1999, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Check your fuel injection points connection.
Old 09-16-1999, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: