Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fuel Lines question

Have bought a long stored but solid 1970, and wanting to replace the fuel lines before I do much.....trying to figure out what size gas line I need and how much as there seems to be different sizes for different parts of the fuel system based on multiple threads I have seen? If it makes a difference my car has the fuel pump (re)located in the front trunk by the tire...Any help that can be provided to let me know what to source appreciated!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You also should replace the fuel lines in the tunnel as they are very old. I think the hoses are Like 5/16. Take the old hoses and match them up at the auto parts store.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Have to be high pressure fuel injection lines for the rubber, correct ones available here.

For the nylon ones in the transmission tunnel, many people replace them with steel or stainless steel, I believe the nylon lines are available from McMaster Carr. The high pressure and return lines are different sizes
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
Exclamation old 914 fuel lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbanger View Post
You also should replace the fuel lines in the tunnel as they are very old. I think the hoses are Like 5/16. Take the old hoses and match them up at the auto parts store.
X2

the plastic lines in the tunnel are a fire waiting to happen - just try to bend one in the eng compt area and you'll see why - you can find threads about that

just pull 'em out and match the sizes you then have in your hands to your choice of modern materials

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ok thanks guys, I see a number of different sizes avail here but wasn't sure what size i needed for what :-) Makes sense to pull old ones and order later but was trying to figure it out and have them here to replace as removed......Considering using the steel lines through tunnel but will not be removing engine so debating....I understand from Tobra and others its possible but a challenge with powertrain in.....
Old 12-03-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You may want to look at Tangerineracing.com. There are stainless fuel line and engine compartment fuel line kits with all correct sizing and elbow rubber hose, clamps etc...
Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
They also have some sweet headers.

I helped a guy put steel lines in, he used brake line. The standard size it comes in is enough to reach from the firewall by the trunk to the engine compartment. Did a flare on the end and put a connection to the one coming out the back of the tunnel, and made the engine compartment lines using a brake line tubing bender to get the shape right. Not stainless, but way cheaper and you will be dead a long time before it rusts or fails.

Return line is the bigger one, if I recall correctly.

You want to do all the rubber brake hoses too. Put some penetrating oil on them and let it sit, you don't want to have to replace the hard lines in the braking system. Do the lirnes that go to the expansion tank or it will smell like fuel, gasket on the fuel cap is not a bad idea either

Last edited by Tobra; 12-04-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys, as the car has been sitting for a while and had some brakes seized in place, will be replacing the master cylinder and using stainless brake hoses for the corners. tks Tobra for tip on letting penetrating oil work before risking the hard lines! ....will run solid fuel lines through tunnel and replace all the rubber lines I can find :-) Like to be able to stop and dont like having to use fire extinguishers:-)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The larger one is the supply line. Smaller is the return line.

I'm having trouble remembering the sizes, though. I think the larger one is 9mm OD and the smaller one is 7mm OD?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-04-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I am considered knowledgeable on fuel hoses, and I will only use the Tangerine Racing tunnel lines for my 914 projects.

They are correct and bulletproof. Of course I use my own E-85 rated hose from Germany for the rest of the system.

Len

Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Thanks Dave, it says on the fuel pump, but don't speak German. 7 and 9 sounds right. You also want the right sort of hose clamps. The cheapo ones will cut into the line.

E-85 rated rubber hose, interesting.

The hose between the brake fluid reservoir and the MC is special, blue hose, you want to replace that one too.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

These are the factory NORMA clamps that do not cut into the rubber.....

I keep these in stock in various sizes. 14mm is correct for the 7.5mm ID hose.

Len

Old 12-04-2017, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Great info on the hose sizes and the clamps I need to be looking for! Tobra, tks for the tip on the MC lines, I understand they are a pain to get in and out of the MC.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: