Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 rear window removal

Hi, the little elbow that holds my engine lid
snapped off along with the sheetmetal that is
part of my firewall. So now I need to reweld it but I need to remove my rear window to do it. I'm probably going to MIG weld, I'll take my chances with removing the window instead of pussyfooting around and worrying about the heat generated in the welding area. Any suggestions anyone has on removing the window would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-12-1999, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
Hi Steve,

Our man Dave Darling covered that a while back, check it out at http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate/Forum2/HTML/000810.html

good luck,

Jeff
Old 09-12-1999, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the link

Steve M
Old 09-12-1999, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I removed the rear window last night after about 2 and a half hours of sufferage. Drove the car to the garage where I keep and and, YAHOO!!. That little 2.0 bored out to a 2.1 via FAT perforamance sounds even better. I can hear every miss and can tell that the valves need adjustment. I'm considering of putting in Plexiglass instead of the orignal glass back on. Reason is I'm going to do a resto when I move to New Mexico.

Remember if its too loud you dont have tineitus(?).

Steve M
Old 09-15-1999, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I havent been able to get the elbow welded this weekend. My uncle works in a shop but he wasnt able to get me access this weekend. I'm probably just going to buy a welder out of a Sears catalog and do it myself. I found a Lincoln welder apparently its called a 'Weld-Pak 100'. Its design to work without argon, instead it uses a flux core wire. Sears wants 379 and with shipping I think is 30 bucks about 409 bucks or so. Does anyone have any experience with this welder or Lincolns (not the car :-))in general?. Also has anyone ever welded with the flux core wire setup before?. This unit hooks up to 115v/20amp. Thanks for the input in advance.
Old 09-19-1999, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I havent been able to get the elbow welded this weekend. My uncle works in a shop but he wasnt able to get me access this weekend. I'm probably just going to buy a welder out of a Sears catalog and do it myself. I found a Lincoln welder apparently its called a 'Weld-Pak 100'. Its design to work without argon, instead it uses a flux core wire. Sears wants 379 and with shipping I think is 30 bucks about 409 bucks or so. Does anyone have any experience with this welder or Lincolns (not the car :-))in general?. Also has anyone ever welded with the flux core wire setup before?. This unit hooks up to 115v/20amp. Thanks in advance for the input.

Also the duty cycle is 20%@88 amps, in case anyone feels that this is relevant information.

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 09-19-1999).]
Old 09-19-1999, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: