Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A couple of questions

I just bought another 914 a couple days ago (I think I am adicted) it is a 73 1.7. When cold it starts right up and runs real smooth, but sometimes when it is hot it will not start. It cranks but nothing ever happens. I put a new coil in(the one I took out was big and in a rusted metal casing) new wires new plugs(bosch platnums were all pepboys had) new points and just had a valve adjustment done. I am pretty sure the aux. air regulator is not functioning correctly, could this be the only reason for it not starting when hot, or could it be something else like the head temp sensor?

Also earlier today I was "test driving" my new 914 and when taking a turn someone comming from the other direction decided that they were going to pull in front of me and double park facing the wrong way in the section of street that I was planing on driving through. I was able to dodge them but wound up going more or less straight in to a curb with my right front wheel. The most obvious damage it that I broke a nice peice out of the rim, but where else do I look for damage. The control arm looks like it might be a little bent (the car had been hit in the right front before though) what else might be damaged. The shock looks fine and I oppened the trunk and didnt see anything damaged in there. The tire somehow was able to hold air even with the chunk of wheel missing and I was able to drive home. Before this happend, when drivin at speeds around 50 or higher I would get a bad vibration comming from the front and shaking the steering wheel. Any ideas on what that might be. Also if anyone around the orange county or LA county has a Riviera style wheel that they can sell me I am now in need of one. If the price is right I might take more then one if I have to.

Thanks alot
James
Old 09-18-1999, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

As far as the car not starting when hot it sounds like a classic case of vapor lock. Look in the engine bay on the battery side, you may have to look underneath the car nearer to the motor mount. There should be a soda bottle shaped thingy with 3 hoses sticking out. If it is there then you will probably need to do a remounting modification. I've got a 73 2.1 (2.0 orignally) when I purchased the car that was the first thing I had done so I've never had the problem but I've heard that this is a problem with many early 914's. What happens is, from what I understand, the engine bay gets so hot it causes the fuel to vaporize in the fuel lines causing the a blockage. You may also want to check one of the temp sensors. In my car there is one located near the throttle body thats mounted onto the air distribution box. If it is loose this will also cause you to have trouble. There will be more people who will come along and offer their advice, it wont be long now :-).
Old 09-19-1999, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
After replacing the wheel and tire,(could be damage to the internal belting) have a competent alignment shop look it over. You could also bring it to a collision shop for a free estimate. Take it to a shop that has
inhouse alignment equiptment. The right shop owner or manager will take the time to make sure things are okey. Good luck.
Old 09-19-1999, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Take a look at the Pelican Technical articles. If I remember right, there was one on moving your fuel pump up front to cure the vapor lock problem. Starting in '75 (I think) the factory put all fuel pumps in the front trunk under the gas tank to solve this problem.

Old 09-20-1999, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: