Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-6 conversion

I finished my conversion and put a 2.7 in the car using the stock transmission. I used an early flywheel (guessing its off a 2.0 or 2.2) and the clutch disk and pressure plate that were in the car as they were still in good shape. the flywheel had some surface rust so I had it surfaced. It was surfaced a long ways back and I think it may have a good amount taken off to get rid of pitting. I cannot get the clutch to adjust and work properly. I have to push the pedal as far through the firewall as I can get it and its still not enough travel. I have removed the stop on the floor as well in an attempt to get more throw. the clutch fork sticking out the bellhousing seems to have about 1/2" of play which is about right from what I've read. it is the same cable, tranny, bellcrank, etc. that came out of car. anyone got any ideas?? does the flywheel need to be shimmed closer to tranny? possibility of clearance issues due to machining of flywheel? please let me know on ideas. also, sometimes when its cold I can get it to go into gear but after driving for a while it gets worse as the car gets hot, almost like something is expanding due to heat and making it worse.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It is possible that your issues are due to the flywheel machining. The following image has the flywheel specs from the factory manual:

You might be able to get things to work by putting another washer under the ball stud that the clutch throwout fork rides on, but that takes a lot of work to test.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-02-2018, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thank you for the info. I will pull the tranny and check everything out again. just to double check: there is a thick steel washer that's part of the flywheel setup, does it go between the flywheel and crankshaft or between inside the flywheel between the crank bolts and the flywheel?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The large washer that has a center hole for the input shaft and five outer holes for the flywheel bolts is often called a "lock plate". And it goes between the flywheel and the bolt heads.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The fork should be flat against the pressure plate, before the pedal is depressed. If it’s at angle I would add a washer behind the clutch fork pivot ball. Very common problem. When adjusted correctly you should have a half inch of freeplay at the pedal. You can test the freeplay by pulling the pedal towards you and pushing back towards the floorboard.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: