Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Front spindle/hub -

I've been wondering, does the 914 (4) share front spindles and/or hub with anything else? type 4 411/412 ... maybe super beetle? anything else? If not can the spindles from any of these be easily fitted to the 914?

DougC
Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think it uses the same spindle as the 411 or 412. Nothing else compatible that I am aware of.

Note that the spindle is welded onto the strut housing--it's one part.

The 911 front suspension (just the struts/brakes/etc., or the whole thing) will bolt onto the 914's chassis just fine. That gives you the very good 911 brakes, and a wide selection of five-lug wheels to choose from. You'll have to do something else to convert the rear hubs, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm more interested in the specs for the splines of the 914's spindles.. in other words, what VW(s) hubs would fit onto the 914 spindles?

I'm thinking of putting a "brake kit" on the 914 from someone like CB who makes them for VWs. This is doable IF the actual spline specs of the 914 matches a VW dics brake kit that's on the market. I already know of the usual upgrades (911 strut assym, 320i calipers), been there done that.. but I want to go a different direction this time.

Doug C
Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The spindles don't have splines. They are a tapered cone with a straight threaded section on the end. The wheel bearing sits on the tapered cone, the hub sits on the bearing and is retained by the special split nut (with clamping screw) that threads onto the threaded section. The hub and rotor are a single piece.

I am not sure what, if any, VW hubs fit on the spindle. I suspect the 411 hubs do, but if that is the case it would be due to them being the exact same parts.

The stub axles on the rear have splines. I don't remember the spline count, just that it is different from the count for the 911 stubs. The hub is a separate part from the rotor on the rear.

The only brake solutions that I know of that bolt on are the two you have mentioned, plus a few people who have machined hubs out of billet to fit the rotors of their choice. If you do find that you can bolt a common VW upgraded brake system onto the 914, please let us know which one and how you did it!!

--DD

Old 02-10-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for reminding me how the 914's stock front spindle/suspension set up worked. Been a long time since I had a stock set up (sold my first 914 around '96), my second 914 had the 911 set up.

From what I gather (and I know this sub-forum's not the place for VW discussion), but the spindles for most (all?) beetle, ghia, etc "ball joint beam" (as apposed to the the 'link kingpin' set ups) up til about '76, are the same.. so in theory IF the dimensions of the spindles of the VW 'ball joint' set up matched the dimensions of stock 914 spindles (the spindle part only)... then those "disc brake kits" for beetles, etc would/could possibly work on the 914.

With that said, here's a link to the dimension of replacement spindles for VW up to '77 (hit the second picture in this link for the exact measurements) :
VW Replacement Ball Joint Spindle, Pair.: VW Parts | JBugs.com
Does anyone have access to a 914 front suspension that they could take some measurements with digit calipers (because I've been unable to find any such measurements for 914 spindles) so that we could compare to the measurement on the above link? This could be an easy, relatively cheaper way of updating 914 front brakes with new parts, if nothing else. Anyone? Thanks.

Doug C

Last edited by Doug C; 02-12-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The drawings there don't say anything at all about the tapered section. I believe that to be the most critical part--after all, that is where the bearings sit!

--DD

Old 02-12-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I thought about that and figured if i could confirm that the basic measurements of the spindle were the same, that buying a set of bearing for the VW spindles and manually testing them for fit on the 914 spindles would be a cheap and easy next step. My assumption is that they'd be the same since the car was a colaboration with VW anyway - and why would they change the angle and size of the taper? (just my thought process).

btw, I have not actually obtained my 3rd 914 yet but am currently working on it, or I'd check myself. Trying to come up with a plan.

Doug C
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for reminding me how the 914's stock front spindle/suspension set up worked.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: