Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
stupid starters

The new rebuilt Bosch non-Pep Boy SR17X starter refused to turn over after a 2 1/2 drive yesterday. The first time I let it sit, thinking it was hot. Started after an hour.

The second time it would not start after 2 hours and I needed my "your not listening device" (hammer BTW) and after a few "hey stupid taps" the bendix released and it started....

The question is, yeah there is one...is there anything else to do? Is there a bendix/solenoid that will not hang up and start everytime? The engine temp did not get over 200F the whole way on the trip...I am getting tired of this....
Old 09-20-1999, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just a thought, do you have a relay on your starter? I heard, here and there, that a Ford relay is usually a good candidate.
Old 09-20-1999, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The solenoids on Bosch rebuilt starters may or may not be new. I just put a rebuilt Bosch unit on my '75 2.0, and I noted that the solenoid was listed as not necessarily new, but possibly tested and reused, although many of the other wearing parts are new.

For my starting problem, I installed the so-called "Hot Start" relay kit, which seems to have cured it. This upgrade allows full battery voltage to reach the starter via a relay, and it also should prolong the life of the ignition switch which no longer needs to switch as much current as it did without the relay.
Old 09-20-1999, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: