Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

wiper parking on passenger side

I recently had my wiper motors RR and now they park on the passenger side. The repairman will redo the job but is not sure what he did wrong. Help appreciated.
Old 09-20-1999, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

An easy error to make. The Haynes manual on the car provides explanation, though it is not thoroughly clear. Even with the drive shaft placed parallel with the drive shaft rod upon installation, the MOTOR still has to be parked first--before being installed in the car.
Here's the test set up: The DRIVE MOTOR can be already attached to the linkage, but with the drive motor worm gear still free from the driving rod; I found it easier this way. With a ground lead applied to the ground terminal, 12V power leads should be applied to terminals 53 and 53a. You can then observe how the worm gear spins around, then spins back. If I remember correctly, it spins about 180 degrees; it does not just spin around in continuous revolutions. The motor is 'parked' at the point just before the worm gear changes direction, at the extreme clockwise position--looking at the gear from the linkage side--just before it begins its spin back counter clockwise. So you watch it run a little so that you can get a sense for timing the removal of the power lead to catch it at just the right moment, before that directional change; could take a few times to get it just right, as the gear does not 'instantly stop' when the power is removed, but rather 'slows down quickly'.

It's been a good while since I installed mine, but I believe I got the description right. I've been wrong once before (earth shattering experience there), so hopefully others will answer for confirmation.

--john
Old 09-20-1999, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

BTW, when you remove the power lead, that is the one going to terminal 53.
Old 09-20-1999, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: