Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Watershed moment, performing valve job-need advice

Well, this is it. This weekend (or next depending on parts) I am going to do valve job. I have my tech article (printed out!) tools, stands and ramps, jack and mindset. BUT, what else should I have? Does someone have a definitive list? Gakets? Valve screws? I was told (thanks Brian K.) that I should fix my leaky push rod tubes at the same time as the valve job. What do I need for that? I was hoping someone could email me a list (or post list) so I could just call Tom and say "here is list of what I need send ASAP".

Thoughts and responses DEFINITELY appreciated.

Joe

note: email = monish@ix.netcom.com

[This message has been edited by joehahn (edited 09-13-1999).]
Old 09-10-1999, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
If it hasn't been done for a long time, the adjusters do wear out. They cost about a buck or two each, but if you are bothering to do an adjustment it is pointless to use old adjusters.

The vavle cover gaskets are cheap, might as well use new ones. I also use a "spray copper" gasket coating on the gaskets first, there are other gasket sealers but I like the copper one.

If the push rod O-rings are leaking this is also a good time to do those.
Old 09-10-1999, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Might be too late by now, but make sure the wire bales that hold the valve covers on are good and tight, bend them a little if necessary. Also to help get them on/off I use a piece of 1 1/2 in wide steel bent in a "L" shape with about a 12 in long side and 3 in short side that is covered with tape to cushion it on the valve cover. It makes moving the wire bale much easier. I agree with the copper gasket sealer, it is great.
Old 09-12-1999, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info on the sealer Brian and he brings up a good point about top dead center and finding it. Just how do you do that? I used to use a 1/4 inch wooden dowel that I put in the spark plug hole and watched it go up slowly and when it stopped, TDC. I was always worried that I would break it off though... So I have a thing that looks like a spark plug but whistles as the cylinder is coming up, when the whistle stops, TDC and then remove it. I'm sorry I can't remember where I got it, old age I guess, since I've had it for years and years.
Old 09-13-1999, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Hey, all--back from vacation and ready to share my opinions (as usual! ;^)...

You can tell if you're at TDC by checking for the TDC mark on the fan. This can be a pain to see, so a mirror and a flashlight can be really handy.

Then again, if you're using the mirror and flashlight, you might look at the notch on the TOP of the tranny bellhousing. You'll see a notch on the flywheel show up when #1 or #3 gets to TDC. The notch shows up in the bottom notch of the bellhousing when #2 or #4 are at TDC. You can use some paint to put a mark down on the bottom when the top one shows TDC, as well--then you don't have to try to look around the tranny....

I also put a few more paint marks on my fan--TDC across the whole fan, and painted the whole top of the fan blade nearest the correct timing mark. No more mirrors for me when looking at the fan!!!

--DD
Old 09-20-1999, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: