Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

headlights

I need to update my headlights on my 1972 914 . Which light is the best upgrade when you do not have to modify the electrical system. I do not want to have the ignition switch to get hot because they are drawing a lot of amps. Which is the best that I might get the a bright light and not have to modify my electrical system
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you don't want to make any changes at all to the wiring, then all the power for the lights will be going through the ignition switch. This means that using standard high-powered bulbs is not a good idea.

The only thing I can think of that is a possibility after that would be LED bulbs. They can produce more light using less power, which means less stress on the ignition switch. I don't have any experience with particular LED headlights, though, so I can't tell if there are ones that actually are better int he real world or not.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-11-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I thought you had to run a relay if you wanted to have really bright lights.

Francis Bacon
Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
For most lights, yes.

LEDs are something of a game changer. You can get a whole lot of lumens out of a bunch of LEDs with relatively low power consumption, which means you do not have to add a relay to the system. (Still not a bad idea, but not required if the power draw is less than the standard lights.)

But LED bulbs have had issues in the past, with light patterns and actual output versus theoretical output, and so on. Ones currently available may be better, but I don't have any experience with them.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

wiring

If I decided to install a relay is there a instruction manual that goes with kit.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Yes there is. And in any case not rocket science to install.

You might try to find some vintage lights as well. I had Cibie halogens in my -6 that we’re fantastic; neat low-beam cut-off.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

914-6Werkshop

I have led's. They are awesome. They light up the road like a new car. Simple plug in installation. Same size as used in a jeep wrangler so they are pretty common. I can't think of one downside. The bulb does look different cosmetically but most of us drive around during the day with headlights down.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

wire harness

where can I buy the wiring set up for the 914
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Vintage Cibie halogens are a good option, if you can source them. I also traded out my factory fog lights for a pair of small halogen driving lights that work really well when paired with the Cibie halogens. Both are "plug and play" options that don't require modifications to the wiring system and are a vast improvement over OEM equipment.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: