Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lincoln welders.

I have a feeling my post in my rear window removal post had gotten lost. So I'll just rephrase here what I was asking there. This pertains to me welding back on the elbow that holds the engine lid in place on my 914.

I havent been able to get the elbow welded this weekend. My uncle works in a shop but he wasnt able to get me access this weekend. I'm probably just going to buy a welder out of a Sears catalog and do it myself.
I found a Lincoln welder apparently its called a 'Weld-Pak 100'.
Its design to work without argon, instead it uses a flux core wire. Sears wants 379 and with shipping I think is 30 bucks about 409 bucks or so.
Does anyone have any experience with this welder or Lincolns (not the car :-))in general?. Also has anyone ever welded with the flux core wire setup before?. This unit hooks up to 115v/20amp.
Thanks in advance for the input.

Also the duty cycle is 20%@88 amps, in case anyone feels that this is relevant information.
Old 09-20-1999, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Steve -

Check back to my post of a similar question on July 19... Title of the post was, "Trunk Hinge Mount and Welding".... lots of good recommendations and experience there.

- Dave
Old 09-20-1999, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't have any experience on Lincoln Welders, but they have been around for ever. I bought a Century at Costco myself after looking around a long time.

If you think you are going to do enough welding to warrant buying a welding set up, my advice would be to bite the bullet and go with the full shielding gas route. The welds are much better with less splatter than with the shielded wire.

Also, if you will be working on your 914, be sure that you get a welder that can be turned DOWN enough to work on thin sheet metal without blowing through. For once, more horsepower is not better.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-1999, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Where I work, they have hundreds of Lincoln MIG welders used to weld body parts of cars together. They are using a 480 V 3 phase model 250. The weld quality in the hands of an expert welder is great. However, robots do a better job.

I talked with a Lincoln rep. He recommended the 220 Volt single phase Model 175 or 220 for my application. I recommend a 220 Volt system (power engineer).

Might want to talk with a local weld shop.

Good luck.

------------------
Smoke Daddy
Old 09-20-1999, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A few months ago someone recommended the web site www.autobodystore.com as a resource on auto body work and welding. I checked it out a bit at the time, and it seemed to have a lot of good material. I don't know very much about what goes into body work, but the material and discussions had a lot of info. Information levels and contributors seem to range from newbies to professional shop people. Good luck.

------------------
Harvey
Old 09-21-1999, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A few months ago someone recommended the web site www.autobodystore.com as a resource on auto body work and welding. I checked it out a bit at the time, and it seemed to have a lot of good material. I don't know very much about what goes into body work, but the material and discussions had a lot of info. Information levels and contributors seem to range from newbies to professional shop people. Good luck.

------------------
Harvey
Old 09-21-1999, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

------------------
Harvey
Old 09-21-1999, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I didnt mention that in my highschool years I worked for my grandfather. He owned a bodyshop, I learned to weld with Oxy/Acetyl. I wasnt the best but I could put two metals together. I also used a MIG welder and a TIG, the only pain in the rear I remember about the MIG was that it required gas. Thats what I was hoping I wouldnt need. But it seems like the way to go. Thanks for all you trouble guys.
Old 09-21-1999, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: