Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

blowing fuses on fuel pump

I got everything all wired and all vaccum hoses in place but when I try starting my car, I blow the fuse for the fuel pump on my regulator plate. I didn't have this happen until I connected my AAR up as listed in a previous thread. So I unplugged it and I am not blowing fuses but my engine isn't starting or trying to start.

Is the AAR necessary? I saw in my manual "if equipped". Can it be bypassed? Don't really want to drop $150 on another one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The AAR lets air go from in front of the throttle into the manifold, even when the throttle is closed. It is effectively a "fast idle" mechanism. I think all of the injected 914s had them in one form or another.

That said, as long as you're willing to play with the throttle while at idle for the first few minutes of driving, you can unplug the electrical connection (tape it up so the white wire doesn't short to ground!) and plug the hoses that would have gone to it.

It is most likely that the wire into the bottom of the AAR is shorting directly to the case of it, which is its ground. You'll have to take it apart to fix that, which is doable.

The car not starting is probably not a related problem. As I said, the AAR pretty much just controls the cold idle RPM.

An engine needs three things to run: Air (compression), fuel, and spark. Find if you are missing any: Use an extra spark plug taped to a ground to check for spark; stick an injector in a jar to see if it squirts fuel; do a compression test to see if air is going in and getting squeezed.

If all three are good, you either have a problem with how much fuel is going in (too much or too little) or when the spark is happening.

Figure out what you're missing, correct that, and see if the car starts at that point. Then worry about the AAR.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-12-2018, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave, thank you once again for your input. I am pretty handy with fixing electronics so I will tear into the AAR and play around. I think I saw a post somewhere of someone that did that. I will clean her right up and see if she works.

I am waiting for my cold air intake to come in so I can get all the vaccuum lines sealed up.

I did have the 2 injectors on the driver side out to see if any fuel is getting sprayed and I didn't have any when trying to turn the car over but I was having a ground issue with the battery. Engine was turning over like it was dead. Turned out the ground was not making a good connection which was going straight to the body of the car. I ran an extra ground wire and mounted it directly to the motor and now she turns over like a beast.

I will try pulling them out again and trying to see if they spray. I put in new plugs yesterday (NSK) and gapped them to .024-026. I will check to make sure I am getting spark this week.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: