Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Wheel upgrade

Hi Guys

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for a bit of help if thats OK?

I inherited a 2.0L 914 from my father who passed away a few years ago and I am in the process of restoring her. Its going well but I want to upgrade the wheels. She is currently running on 5 stud 14's Fuchs with stock suspension, bodywork etc. I have a set of 16 inch fuchs (911 361 020 43 & 911 361 020 45) that I want to fit.

I understand it more common to fit these in the US than here in the UK

I have two questions:

1. can they fit without modifying the arches,suspension? I am worried about the fronts rubbing on full lock

2. Does anyone know what tire size I need? They don't have tyres on so no idea what fitment for a 914 as they are 911 wheels.

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-14-2018, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Ben

How wide are the new 16" Wheels you want to fit? The common saying is that 7" wide is max what you can fit in the rear if you have stock wheel arches and even thats a tight fit on some cars. I'm running 15x7's all around with 195/55 tires and in the front there's no issues, left side rear needed to be pulled a bit where the right side rear fit without adjustment.

Since your are from a 911 and you have two different part numbers my guess is that they are 7" front and 8" rear. There is no way you'll fit the 8's under the rear arches without some serious stretching. The alternative is to go with the GT arches but thats a whole other can of worms.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Falcor

The fronts (911 361 020 43) are apparently 6" wide and the rears (911 361 020 45) are 8". It looks like there is loads of clearance on the rears, I was more worried about the fronts to be honest!

I'm not going to fit GT arches, just too much work!

What is needed to make the 8" rears fit?

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 8s should not fit on the rear under stock arches with any tire that is reasonable to put on an 8" wide rim. Even 7s rarely fit without fender mods!

6" wide wheels should fit all around, depending on the offset. Do not go wider than 205 width; even those may rub on one rear arch or the other. The arches can be pulled out slightly to help fitment, but be careful not to go overboard as the lower corners of the panel will move noticeably if you do. The lip around the wheel opening may need to be trimmed or folded over and flattened to keep it from catching on the tire at some point in suspension travel. Going with 195-width tires gives you better chances that things will fit.

Note that most wider tires will rub on the inner fender, aft of the shock absorber, when the steering is at full lock. Most of us just accept that and remember that full-lock steering is only something we should do at very low speeds and even then it would be nice to avoid it.

Fitting 8" rears almost always requires significant arch modifications. The GT flares, or someone else's flares. I have seen arches that were cut radially, then pie-piece shaped wedges of sheet metal were welded in, bending the arch out several inches. I have also seen things like the Sheridan kit, or Rich Bontempi's rear fender (arch) kit. But whatever you do, it will be a good bit of work and at least some painting and body work.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-14-2018, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If I was you Ben I'd ty to swap the 8" pair for a 6" or 7" pair. That would allow you a much greater chance of fitting them without any major bodywork.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Guys

I tried to post this before but it disappeared, apologies if its duplicated.

My confusion with these wheels stems from the following:

1. The part number is 911 361 020 44 and they are stamped with 7J x 16 (I thought they were 8" as I read the part number incorrectly)
2. I have measured the width with a tape measure and it actually comes out to 7 5/8" so they are wider than 7" but not quite 8"
3. The offset is AS1062 - will this work on a 914 as they are 911 wheels?

My question is will these fit without any or major surgery? If so what tyre size would you say will fit?

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-15-2018, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A "7J" wheel has a 7-inch rim. That's measured where the tire sits, not on the outer surface of the metal.

Generally 911 wheels (from a torsion-bar 911, not from the 964-series or later) have decent offsets for fitting 911s, though of course there is some variation.

Mounting 195-width tires on 7" rims can be annoying, but those give you the best chance of fitting under the rear fenders. Usually 205s on 7" wheels require some pulling of the fender as I mentioned earlier.

--DD

Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi Dave

That's great thanks. I'll get some part worn tires if I can to try them out then off to be refurbed if they fit.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Ben
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One more thing Dave. Any idea what profile tyres to fit? 195/../16 ?

Cheers
Old 05-15-2018, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The profile shouldn't have much influence on how the tires fit under the fenders. Your alignment can (e.g., adding negative camber can move the tops of the wheels inboard somewhat and help if there is rubbing in that area) but usually the tire profile isn't a big deal.

That said, 60 or 65 series should be close to the original overall diameter of the stock tires (on the stock 15" rims!), so that's not the worst place to start. Going lower profile can shorten the gearing and improve transient response and lateral grip, but will tend to make the ride a bit harder.

--DD

Old 05-15-2018, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks Dave

I've bought some tyres today and will test fit tomorrow. Engine going back in on Sunday so fingers crossed.

I bought some 195/60/16's lets see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Ben
Old 05-16-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
Any news on your tire/wheel fitment? How about some pics of your engine project as well.
1990 Honda Hawk GT, 1988 Honda Hawk GT,
1977 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hi Craig

Amazingly they fit with no modification whatsoever! They don't rub even on full lock - I'm very surprised!

I'll try to post some pictures....I have many!

Ben
Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Finally worked out how to post photos (I think!!)

Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
That's great! They look perfect for the car.
1990 Honda Hawk GT, 1988 Honda Hawk GT,
1977 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 07-18-2018, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: