Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

black and red keys

does anyone know what the red key and the black key is supposed to operate?
Old 09-21-1999, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The black key should be the regular key and the red key the valet key. Provided the locks have not been changed, the valet key should only operate the ignition and the doors, the black should open all the locks. Both keys should be cut exactly the same. The red and black key blanks have slightly different grooves which allow them to operate differently due to the design of the various tumblers.
Old 09-21-1999, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, but its the opposite on my keychain. The red key will operate all my locks and the black will do ignition and doors.
Old 09-21-1999, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
"Deja-vu"

Didn't we discuss this last month? Both my 72 and 75 owners manuals agree with Tim.

Sorry, Conrad.
Old 09-21-1999, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Makes ya wonder! My manual agrees with Tim
but my keys agree with Conrad. Mayhaps some keymaker got confused? I've run into the same problem with keys for my Jaguar.. had a new "master" key made according to the code.. the keymaker managed to make it as a valet key. I think that may be the case with my and Conrad's keys too.
Old 09-22-1999, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Interesting that Conrad's and others are reversed. I just rekeyed my 70 911 which uses the same keys as the 914. The red and black keys function just the way the manual describes. If you look at the two keys, they are cut identically, but the red key positions the cut edge a little differently. The glovebox tumbler (and on the 914, the trunk tumblers) uses a special tumbler element which will not let the red key work.

Perhaps in some cases, the black key may be worn and won't work on the tumblers that are rarely used (glovebox and trunk). If the locks have been rekeyed, whoever changed them may also not have used the special valet tumber element which would allow the valet key to open everything. I don't know why yours are different, but mine work fine.
Old 09-22-1999, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: