Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/)
-   -   My Car's First Problem! (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-technical-forum/100067-my-cars-first-problem.html)

924S-fast 02-28-2003 12:10 PM

My Car's First Problem!

as you regs here know, I put together and drove my first 924S, and low and behold, like all cars are to you, it has some issues.

Ready to troubleshoot?

ok, I dont have a service manual yet, but here's my problem
I thought I would see how fast it would go for once yesterday, and I did (135).

This morning, I come out to a puddle of green coolant. I quickly jump into action, and inspect my engine, and I saw that it is comming from a metal device with a plastic outlet on it.

There is a hose that goes from the radiator, up, and expands. This metal device is connected directly to the expanded hose, and connects to the side of the engine from here. I am not sure, but I think that it might be in connection with the water pump, but everything is dry above this peice of metal, but when I feel beneath it, my hand is dampened by coolant. does anybody know what this piece might be?

Please help, I can find parts easy/cheap, but I cant buy em if I dont know what they are! Thanks every-1, I'll be online for awhile in case you have any quick ?'s

Scott R 02-28-2003 12:21 PM

Yes that is the water pump, and that hose is fitted over the outlet, inside the outlet is the thermostat.

Try and tighten the hose clamp first. Worse case scenario is that you are loosing the water pump. In which case you will need a water pump and gasket and I recommend a new thermostat, new timing belt, balance belt and rollers. And heck while your in there check all of your front seals.

BTW if you need to change the water pump you will need to have the belts retensioned as well, so you may as well just replace them as well. Also be carefull with the pump bolts they rust and break off easily.

924S-fast 02-28-2003 12:28 PM

THANK YOU ALOT MAN! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! WHERE ARE YOU, WANNA SPARK A DOOBIE SOMETIME?

Z-man 02-28-2003 12:49 PM

[soapbox]
Careful there: you are in an unfamiliar car, and you're taking top speed runs? That is dangerous: both to you and to the car.

Have fun with it, but don't run it sooo fast, man: if that car hasn't seen those speeds, and things are loose (like hoses in the coolant system), you may spring a leak, like you did. Worse: if your suspension is worn, or the brakes are shot, it's better to find out at slower speeds.
[/soapbox]

Get used to the car, then play hard. While I'll refrain from my usual, "take it to the track for high speeds speech," just be careful out there....

-Z.

gearhead290 02-28-2003 01:07 PM

I agree with Z-man, learn the car before you go too fast in it. And from a teen to a teen just don't be stupid. Remember, you will catch people's eye when you're driving, especially cops, and I have the ticket to prove it:eek:

85944na 02-28-2003 02:17 PM

be really careful!! if your waterpump goes out it will take out your timing belts, bend valves, all sorts of bad things...do you know when the belts/ water pump were last done? if not I'd bite the bullet and get them done asap! and certainly before any top speed runs.

Frank B 02-28-2003 02:50 PM

Quote:

THANK YOU ALOT MAN! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! WHERE ARE YOU, WANNA SPARK A DOOBIE SOMETIME?
Great idea! why don't you go drag racing your touruing car right after sparking up that doobie......http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/.../pimpflash.gif

944freak 02-28-2003 04:05 PM

Whats a doobie?

stray15 02-28-2003 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 924S-fast
You are GAY.

Think before you post you smuck.

Scott R 02-28-2003 04:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks Frank B, I was not really sure how to respond to that. Anyway I hope he figures out his problem.

924S-fast 02-28-2003 04:49 PM

I dont think that is the waterpump though. It has a plastic spicket on the side with two bolts on it. It is too small to be a waterpump, and besides, there are no belts on it.
I saw one mounting bolt that mounted it onto the engine. Only one was clearly visible. I am sure there are more, but I couldent see under it since the car is soo low.
All's I know is, it is losing coolant at a ratio of one drip every 30 secs. I drove it again today, but I didnt check and see it it was dripping still. I am assuming that it is.
Do you have any other ideas on what it might be?
I am kinda lost.

924S-fast 02-28-2003 04:51 PM

oh, btw, I am not a pothead. Yes, I have smoked Marijuana on a few occasions, but not frequent enough to declare me a pothead. I am sorry if I offended anybody with my sense of humor.
I dont smoke weed, and if I did, I surely wouldent drive after tokin', and furthermore, I DEFINITELY wouldent drive my Porsche after tokin.

Scott R 02-28-2003 04:53 PM

Is it a black plastic piece?

924S-fast 02-28-2003 05:03 PM

no, its white

gearhead290 02-28-2003 05:25 PM

Quote:

oh, btw, I am not a pothead. Yes, I have smoked Marijuana on a few occasions, but not frequent enough to declare me a pothead. I am sorry if I offended anybody with my sense of humor.
I dont smoke weed, and if I did, I surely wouldent drive after tokin', and furthermore, I DEFINITELY wouldent drive my Porsche after tokin.

DRUGS ARE BAD!

924S-fast 02-28-2003 05:28 PM

yes, drugs are very very very bad, but, on a more important note, I think that this piece I am speaking of might possibly be the thermostat.
My reason is this: There is a long tube that extends through the firewall to a short rubber hose to this metal piece, Am I right?, somebody throw me a FRIKKIN' bone here! lol

Scott R 02-28-2003 05:35 PM

Which number?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_...83-85/pic4.jpg

gearhead290 02-28-2003 05:39 PM

Quote:

yes, drugs are very very very bad, but, on a more important note
NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN LETTING PEOPLE KNOW DRUGS ARE BAD!

924S-fast 02-28-2003 05:42 PM

between 22 and 19, that thingie is the water pump? looks small!
What program is that? did you buy that diagram prog, or is there a website?
I think it IS the waterpump then!

SoCal Driver 02-28-2003 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 944freak
Whats a doobie?
A member of a 70's pop rock and roll band.