Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 Overheat...now what??

All,

If you have been following "Big Problem" posts, please read on. This is Mikeekim's dad, and I am looking into getting back to this 944. I am primarily an air cooled fan, but have dabbled enough into h2o to know enought to get into this problem. My concerns are based on the little that I know about the 2.5L 944 engine (na), and want to pursue this situation with the background to proceed correctly. I comprehend the fan, thermostat, with respect to what may have happened, etc...

My main concern after last nights fiasco is of course the head gasket. Please provide any necessary info that revolves around refilling, bleeding, starting this engine to assess the situation, etc...I really don't want to csrew up something else by doing something that isn't conventional procedure on a typical chevy for instance.

I can sort out the potential fan issues with a little direction. I am a EE, and have worked on many auto electrical systems...no problem there. Another question......this '84 has the od stye water pump...how typical is impeller failure??

Finally, how much of a pain is it to remove the head?? I know the t-belt/balance belt needs to be done anyway...old style water pump should be upgraded, but want to know what I will be in for.
Exhaust manifold bolt removal looks nasty at best, so please comment.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 03-02-2003, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
It is a challenge, Superman will come to your rescue as soon as he turns on his Computer.. so stay put..
Old 03-02-2003, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Impellar in water-pumps sometimes seize around 70-100,000 miles. Depending on some circumstances it could even be less. I wouldn't start it if you think it has seized because the water-pump runs off of the timing belt and could do a lot more damage then you already might have on your hands.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is

Last edited by Trevor; 03-02-2003 at 01:19 PM..
Old 03-02-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Firstly, you're not supposed to let it idle for very long, esp. after startup. I'm not trying to be insulting when I say "Read your manual". When you bleed your system, you should have it at "high idle", which IMO is @2000 RPM. Here's a pretty good thread on how to fill and bleed your cooling system. You have to take the camshaft housing off to reach your head bolts, use grease on your hex head to keep your bolts from falling off, and same for the lifters. Haynes manual is helpfull.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

before this happened i added some distilled water to the resevoir because it was low. should i still have bled the system if i did this or is that only for changing out the coolant completely?

thanks
Old 03-02-2003, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Re: 944 Overheat...now what??

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeekiM
All,

If you have been following "Big Problem" posts, please read on. This is Mikeekim's dad, and I am looking into getting back to this 944. I am primarily an air cooled fan, but have dabbled enough into h2o to know enought to get into this problem. My concerns are based on the little that I know about the 2.5L 944 engine (na), and want to pursue this situation with the background to proceed correctly. I comprehend the fan, thermostat, with respect to what may have happened, etc...

My main concern after last nights fiasco is of course the head gasket. Please provide any necessary info that revolves around refilling, bleeding, starting this engine to assess the situation, etc...I really don't want to csrew up something else by doing something that isn't conventional procedure on a typical chevy for instance.

I can sort out the potential fan issues with a little direction. I am a EE, and have worked on many auto electrical systems...no problem there. Another question......this '84 has the od stye water pump...how typical is impeller failure??

Finally, how much of a pain is it to remove the head?? I know the t-belt/balance belt needs to be done anyway...old style water pump should be upgraded, but want to know what I will be in for.
Exhaust manifold bolt removal looks nasty at best, so please comment.

Thanks,

Jon
To answer your main question.............running for too long in an overheated situation definitely compromises your head gasket. Unfortunately it may happen today or in a year. Hard to estimate. In a worse case scenario you can warp the head on the vehicle....

If its due for a head gasket change its definitely a do it yourself job if you have some mechanical know how. Doing a headgasket job in a scale of 1 - 10 is a probably 6 in my books.

10 being removal of the torque tube or clutch job.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-02-2003, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
wilk that's the second premature Ejak post.... hehe.. not that I'M counting... hehehe..

Old 03-02-2003, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: